The host programme provides a mentor service to international students.
As part of this programme, UIC Barcelona students in year three or higher accompany new international students and help ease their integration into the University and the city of Barcelona.
Who can be a mentor and how can I sign up?
Who can be a mentor?
At the end of their second year, any students who are interested in becoming a mentor may sign up by filling out this form.
After the application deadline indicated by Student Services, a decision will be made and applicants will be informed whether or not they have been accepted.
Those accepted will be assigned one or more international students based on the number of applications we receive and the student’s availability.
What does a mentor do?
Mentors will undertake the following tasks:
- Attend the training session at the University.
- Get in touch with the assigned students before they arrive at the University and answer any questions they may have (via e-mail, social media, telephone, etc.).
- Help them with any doubts they may have about accommodation prior to arrival, taking into account the characteristics and difficulties of finding housing in Barcelona.
- Meet them on their arrival to the city. Whenever possible, the host students should meet them at the train station or airport, take them to their place of accommodation, etc.
- Give them basic guidelines about the city.
- Give them a tour of the University’s facilities.
- Provide advice about the basic services at the University (library, opening hours, bar, etc.).
- Classes: if the international students are in the same degree programme, the host student will provide information on assessment criteria, exams, group changes, timetable conflicts, questions, notes, library, etc. Otherwise, they will encourage them to seek answers to their questions by introducing them to a student from their degree programme.
- Provide language tips: knowledge, local language use, language courses at or outside the University, etc. Take part in the programme’s language-related activities, if any.
- Take part in the programme’s activities (speed friending, tours of the city, sports activities, dinners, language-related activities, etc.).
- Organise at least five face-to-face mentoring sessions with the mentee: meet at least once a month to make sure the student is integrating into life at the University and in the city.
- Final mentorship report.
I am an international student and I would like a mentor. What do I need to do?
If you are an international student at UIC Barcelona, we have designed this programme because we want you to feel at home. If you so request, you will be assigned a student in year three or higher who will accompany you during the first few months of your stay. Having a person of reference can help make your university experience more pleasant.
If you would like to request a mentor, all you have to do is fill out this form.