This postgraduate degree is taught fully online over six months.
This makes the programme very attractive to students who would like the course to be compatible with their professional lives.
MODULE 1. History of the Family
- The birth of the extended family and the nuclear family.
- The socio-economic and political framework of the old and new regimes.
- Demographic changes.
- The evolution of family law. The intervention of the state. The emergence of family policies.
- The cultural revolution of the 1960s.
MODULE 2. Sociology of the Family
- The concept of the person in the relational paradigm.
- The privatisation of the family.
- The family genome: gifts, reciprocity, and conjugal love.
- Intersubjective and structural bonds and relationships.
- Trust, cooperation and reciprocity as a source to generate social capital.
MODULE 3. Family and holding Custody of Minors
- The concept of Early Childhood Development (ECD)
- The key actors in early stimulation.
- The value of care in early childhood.
- Prenatal care.
- The role of the Family and the State.
- An analysis of the main policies and programmes.
- A call to action. What can we do?
MODULE 4. The Financial Dimension of the Family
- The financial structure of the state and its relationship with the welfare state.
- Birth rates and social capital.
- Family income.
- The contribution of the family to the national GDP.
- Family and taxation.
MODULE 5. The Legal Dimension of the Family
- The family as a social subject.
- Legal guardianship within the family at an international level.
- Legal guardianship within the family in Spain.
MODULE 6. Public and Private Family Policies
- The reasoning behind current family policies.
- Spain: the legislation which underlines changing trends.
- Family work-life balance policies: dilemmas in companies.
- Europe and South America: the most important trends and good practice
- Challenges and opportunities.
MODULE 7. Implementation, Design and Evaluation of Family Policies.
- The diagnosis of needs and the selection of the main variables.
- The design of programmes in public administration, companies and the third sector.
- The efficiency of programmes and their technical evaluation in relation to the planned objectives.
MODULE 8. Final Postgraduate Degree Project
Consuelo León Llorente
PhD in Business Administration (UPC). Director of the Observatory on Family Policies (UIC Barcelona).
PhD in Philosophy (University of Navarra). Lecturer at the IAE Business School (Universidad Austral de Argentina). Director of the Centro Conciliación Familia y Empresa at the IAE Business School (Universidad Austral de Argentina).
Montserrat Gas Aixendri
PhD in Law (Universidad Complutense de Madrid). Professor in the Faculty of Law at UIC Barcelona. Director of the Institute of Advanced Family Studies of UIC Barcelona.
Belén Zárate Rivero
PhD in law (University of Navarra). Professor in the Faculty of Law at UIC Barcelona.
Xavier Capelles Lopez
Lawyer. Master’s degree in Legal Advice from the IE Business School in Madrid. PhD candidate at the University of Barcelona.
María Elena Ordóñez
PhD in Business Administration (University of Navarra). Senior Researcher at the Lean Analytics Association.
PhD in Political Science (University of Milán). Master’s degree in Marriage and Family (UNAV).
María de los Ángeles Destéfano
Researcher at the Centro Conciliación Familia y Empresa at the IAE Business School (Universidad Austral de Argentina). PhD candidate at the Universidad Austral de Argentina.
Marc Grau Grau
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration and Management from ESADE. PhD at the University of Edinburgh.
Remei Agulles Simó
Bachelor’s degree in Philosophy (University of Navarra). PhD at UIC Barcelona. Researcher in the Institute of Advanced Family Studies of UIC Barcelona.
Professor of Sociology in the University of Bologna. Founder of Relational Sociology.
Juan Antonio García Durán
Professor of Economic Theory at the University of Barcelona.
Paloma Durán Lalaguna
Professor of the Philosophy of Law at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid.