Panel of Experts Recognizes Best Short Films by UIC Audiovisual Communication Students
The docudrama ?Contra las Cuerdas' swept the fourth edition of the IMMA Awards, which were given on Wednesday, 3 July 2013, at the UIC Faculty of Communication Sciences. A panel of experts gave awards in different categories to the best short films created by students in the Bachelor's Degree Programme in Audiovisual Communication.
Contra las Cuerdas won five awards, including Best Project and Best Production. The short film The Sight was a close second, with four awards, including Best Director. The awards ceremony was held in the main lecture hall and included the screening of a selection of the short films created by the students that had qualified as finalists. The awards were handed out following the screening.
The keynote speaker at this edition of the IMMA Awards was Oscar Aibar, the director of El Bosc and El Gran Vázquez and several episodes of the series Cuéntame Cómo Pasó.
This year’s panel of judges was made up of leading figures in the Spanish film industry such as Gustavo Ron, the writer and director of Mia Sarah and Vivir Para Siempre; Arnau Bataller, the composer of the soundtrack for the series Polseres Vermelles; Carlos García Miranda, the writer of the series El Internado and Los Protegidos; and Anna Petrus, a filmmaker and critic for the film magazines Dirigido Por and De Cine and for the cultural supplement of the Spanish newspaper La Vanguardia.
The ceremony showcases the professional work done by the faculty’s audiovisual communication students. The IMMA awards connects students with prominent figures in the audiovisual sector, who assess the students’ work and give them the opportunity to grow professionally with their support.
The short films that received IMMA Awards in each category in 2013 were:
- BEST PROJECT: Contra las Cuerdas, a docudrama by Marta Cruz, Cristina Isern, Maria Padrès, Alba Riaza and Gabriela Santa María.
- BEST DIRECTOR: The Sight, set during World War II, by Alex Assenmacher, Johan Girbau Xalabarder, Clara Soler Isart, Cristina Torres Aregall and Cintia Ballbé.
- BEST PRODUCTION: Contra las Cuerdas
- BEST ACTOR: The Sight
- BEST ACTRESS: Contra las Cuerdas
- BEST SCREENPLAY: Contra las Cuerdas
- BEST EDITING: Contra las Cuerdas
- BEST PHOTOGRAPHY: Cuadro de una Obsesión, a psychological thriller by Tania Hidalgo, Carlos Cabrera, Brian Amador, Manel Ruiz and Ariadna García.
- BEST ART DIRECTION: The Sight
- BEST SOUND DESIGN: The Sight