Over recent years there has been a diagnostic and therapeutic revolution in the treatment of maxillofacial deformities using orthognathic surgery techniques and surgical orthodontics. On the other hand, there are no continuing education courses on the subject at university level. The Surgery and Orthodontics departments of the UIC have a number of experienced professionals with “know-how” in this field. The Maxillofacial Institute sets the benchmark for orthognathic surgery at a European level.
- To provide tools for diagnosis, clinical planning and 3D radiology.
- To master the essential concepts of the orthodontic handling of surgical cases.
- To incorporate the various surgical treatment techniques.
- To stress the collaboration process between the orthodontist and surgeon in these treatments.
- To provide an update on the latest advances in this field.
Competences the students will acquire
- Mastery of the diagnosis and planning processes of surgical cases.
- Knowledge of the protocols for handling every clinical situation.
- Knowledge of the orthodontic techniques for each of these cases.
- Knowledge of surgical techniques in facial skeletal surgery.
- Knowledge of procedures on soft tissues.
Prospective students profile
- Specialists in maxillofacial surgery
- Residents in the final year of Maxillofacial Surgery course
- Residents in the final year of the Orthodontics course