The treatment of dento-maxillofacial deformities using techniques of orthognathic surgery and surgical orthodontics has undergone a diagnostic and therapeutic revolution in recent years. Supported by extensive clinical experience and continuous research in this field, the UIC Barcelona Departments of Surgery and Orthodontics have become opinion leaders and have developed a methodology of their own. This postgraduate course aims to transmit this philosophy by holistically covering all aspects of the management of dento-maxillofacial deformities with special emphasis on new paradigms of diagnosis, planning and treatment.
- To provide tools for diagnosis, clinical planning and 3D radiology.
- To master the essential concepts of the orthodontic handling of surgical cases.
- To incorporate the various surgical treatment techniques.
- To stress the collaboration process between the orthodontist and surgeon in these treatments.
- To provide an update on the latest advances in this field.
Competences the students will acquire
- Mastery of the diagnosis and planning processes of surgical cases.
- Knowledge of the protocols for handling every clinical situation.
- Knowledge of the orthodontic techniques for each of these cases.
- Knowledge of surgical techniques in facial skeletal surgery.
- Knowledge of procedures on soft tissues.
Prospective students profile
- Specialists in maxillofacial surgery
- Residents in the final year of Maxillofacial Surgery course
- Residents in the final year of the Orthodontics course