Approximately one-third of intellectually disabled people present behavioural disorders and mental illnesses. This is one of the key challenges faced by the professionals and services involved in their care.
This online programme uses an integrated biopsychosocial approach based on evidence of the concepts, models, service planning and assessment and intervention techniques used in the field of mental health and behavioural disorders.
The programme incorporates the person-centred care model from the ethical viewpoint of positive behaviour support. This has been achieved by focusing on the most recent neurobiological knowledge of the aspects underlying so-called challenging behaviours.
It therefore meets the demands of many professionals caring for intellectually disabled people in a whole range of services. All of this makes it a unique postgraduate programme for those who provide support to this group of people.
- To provide students with the tools they need to learn about the main theoretical reference points in the field of intellectual disabilities, mental illnesses and behavioural disorders.
- To provide students with the skills required to assess and diagnose mental illnesses and behavioural disorders in intellectually disabled people.
- To provide students with the skills required to design and implement an effective biopsychosocial assessment.
- To train students to design and implement an effective biopsychosocial intervention plan.
- To provide students with the skills required to work as part of a multidisciplinary team.
This programme is specifically for students not residing in Spain. If you are interested in this programme and you are a resident in Spain, you can apply for the blended learning version of the course:
Postgraduate Diploma in Mental Illnesses and Behavioural Disorders in Intellectually Disabled People from UIC Barcelona.