The UIC Barcelona Bachelor’s degree in Humanities aims to provide a solution to the demand that exists in many sectors of our society for people with a high level of knowledge in the area of humanities. The knowledge and tools that humanities studies acquire are increasingly considered to be some of the essential elements of decision-making in positions that require social and cultural responsibility. Humanities studies and the structural education they receive means they are prepared and qualified to adapt to professional requirements in a society that is becoming more dynamic and complex.
We offer the possibility of obtaining two degrees over a 5 year period:
- Humanities + ADE (Business Administration and Management)
- Humanities + Law
- Humanities + Journalism
- Humanities + Primary Education
The Bachelor's Degree in Humanities and Cultural Studies will:
- Tackle the need to cultivate and research the “theoretical dimension” of culture, through a programme which analyses the actual reality of the phenomenon in order to understand it, create it and apply it at the most diverse levels possible, particularly at an intercultural level.
- Provide creative and innovative responses to the demands and social challenges that exist in this field. Cultivating this is a fundamental factor today in terms of applying and setting out good cultural policies in the area of public administration and public and private institutions, industries, commercial sectors, etc.
- Provide a response to the various perspectives it involves leads to the appearance of few potential forms of employment today. Barcelona is currently one of Europe's most active "generators of culture". As a result, the general area (Barcelona/Catalonia) boasts ideal socioeconomic characteristics.
- Ensure that humanities studies are better nurtured, understood, valued and applied not only in society in general, but also by current and future employers.
- Prepare highly qualified professionals for the culture and intercultural relations sector.
“Humanities and Cultural Studies” graduates can complete their “cultural” training through the University Master’s degree in Cultural Management.
Who is it intended for? Prospective students
Anyone who meets the admission requirements and general pre-requisites for access to the degree programme may apply.
The recommended profile for prospective students is that they are people who have:
- An interest in history, history of art, philosophy and literature.
- A broad interest in all aspects of humanities-related thought.
- An enjoyment of reading and working with texts.
- Logical reasoning, discussion, critique and debating skills.
- The desire to understand and hold a dialogue with cultures different to your own.
- Social awareness and an interest in participating in social/cultural cooperation projects, at local and international levels.
Reasons to study this degree
- A degree in the area of Humanities which specialises in the field of culture and cultural relations
It provides an understanding of culture via the various humanistic disciplines
- An innovative degree programme in Spain
It responds to a growing demand for professionals possessing extensive and wide-ranging training in cultural studies
- It includes the tradition of Humanities studies
It transmits a crosscutting overview, capable of establishing connections between knowledge and events from various times and cultures
- It creates versatile professionals
With a great capacity for adaptation, who search for the cultural roots of subjects and are able to understand the complex identity of modern society and to have an impact on cultural innovation and development
- It combines knowledge of the history of cultures with the proximity of social reality
Work experience, visits to exhibitions, debates on current affairs, etc.
- A wide array of professional opportunities and career paths
In the cultural sector (cultural departments, foundations, museums, galleries, publishing houses, cultural industries and companies, cultural communication offices), academia, organisations, international cooperation and international dialogue
- A blend of personal and professional skills which engender theoretical reflection
Professional work experience and a final independent project complement and reinforce the formal aspects of the curriculum.
- Humanities + Primary Education
- Humanities + Business Administration
- Humanities + Law
Competences. Course objective
The professional and personal skills students acquire in the Cultural Sciences Degree programme help them become:
- Committed to cultural innovation and development and develop a critical stance towards historical and contemporary manifestations of culture
- Motivated and versatile professionals, with the ability to plan and carry out cultural, social, or international projects and proposals, adapting them to suit current needs in the labour market
- Astute observers with sophisticated opinions on the most significant aspects of contemporary culture, such as globalisation, multiculturalism, and intercultural dialogue
- Dedicated to ongoing improvement and education, developing an intellectual curiosity that drives them to continue learning about different cultures, societies and progress in general
- Good transmissors of the humanities, with the ability to teach and disseminate knowledge
Graduate in Humanities and Cultural Studies from the International University of Catalonia