Today's children are the future. Enriching their growth and providing them continuing education is more than a responsibility. At UIC Barcelona, this is our guiding principle: we work today to improve tomorrow. We will train you to become a professional with human skills that transform and enrich society. With a sensitivity towards and enthusiasm for working with children, and a capacity for self-criticism, flexibility and transmitting culture.
The Bachelor's Degree in Pre-Primary Education focuses on education during the first 6 years of a child's life, while holders of a degree in Primary Education are responsible for education between the ages of 6 and 12.
After graduation you may decide to either enter the job market (in Spain you must hold this official qualification to work as a teacher) or pursue a master's degree (in any country within the European Higher Education Area (EHEA)) and afterwards start your doctoral thesis.
Our education is target-based. The Bachelor's Degree in Primary Education will provide:
- A sound command of all applicable course content. You will learn to design, plan and convey processes.
- Knowledge of how language develops in a multicultural and multilingual environment. The ability to teach in Spanish, Catalan and another foreign language, as well the good habit of reading in other languages.
- Sensitivity towards diversity and gender equality and respect for human rights and civic values.
- Techniques to ensure peaceful co-existence in the classroom through emotional education and autonomy, encouraging hard work, persistence and discipline.
- Out-of-classroom skills relating to school organisation, tutoring sessions for parents or your relationship with other education agents. Preparation for the demands of today's society.
- Knowledge of how to introduce students to the digital world and add cultural richness through new pedagogical possibilities.
- Appreciation for collaborative work, critical thinking, commitment to a sustainable future, health, hygiene and physical education as means of personal and social development.
If you are a people person and feel the world of education is your calling, the Bachelor's Degree in Primary Education is right for you.
The following are some of the aptitudes our students share:
- An interest in teaching
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Sensitivity towards artistic expression
- Ability to relate to others
- Observation skills
Your competences are what set you apart as a teacher who is useful to society.
- Cross-disciplinary competences
Information technology and communication, languages (Catalan, Spanish, English), critical thinking and reflective analysis, creativity.
- Teacher-specific competences
Expertise in the subjects you teach and the teaching methods you employ, ability to work with colleagues and other staff members, professional development.
- Subject-specific competences
Competences you will develop through a number of diverse methods such as lectures, case studies, problem solving and problem-based, project-oriented, cooperative and independent learning.
At UIC Barcelona we will assess your competences through: objective exams, assignments and projects, portfolios, reports, self-evaluation, interviews, etc.
Holder of a degree in Primary Education from UIC Barcelona.