Master's Degree in Artificial Intelligence for Architecture & Design
About this master
This program is focused on all those architects and engineers of the disciplines related to arquitectonic design who want to be able to deepen their knowledge in Artificial Intelligence processes. The program provides a general knowledge of the subject allowing its graduates to work as experts in intelligent computer based design processes.
Reasons to study this master
- Becoming an Architect expert in Artificial Intelligent processes
- Becoming an Architect ready to work as/or with computational experts for the new transdisciplinar design
- Obtaining a general knowledge about the Artificial Intelligence discipline as a whole, being able to understand its main aims, contents and research current interest for society.
- Developing the skills, mathematical and computational , for being able to apply along the practical exercises the algorithmic processes that will be studied.
- Interdisciplinary and interscalar approach
Meeting the complex challenges presented by the field of development requires holistic solutions that integrate interdisciplinary knowledge, which is why our program counts on a prestigious roster of both local and international professors from diverse sectors and professional practices.
- Multicultural environment
Much like our faculty, our students hail from diverse countries around the globe, making for an exceptionally international and enriching learning environment and a valuable professional network.
After what it was called “the first digital era in architectural design”, (1990-2005), the discipline has started a general debate about how the “second digital era in design” should be defined.
The appearance of Big Data, breakthroughs in Artificial Intelligence making that type of algorithms ubiquitous and, also, the exponential increase of robotic technology and its access easiness for non experts, has provoked a debate about a shift in the Architectural paradigm that is attacking the main definition of what an architect is.
Architects are obliged to work as/or with computational experts for the new transdisciplinar design methodologies.
Lack of these types of skills in new designers’ generations can cause a very dangerous situation: our discipline design methodologies will be led by architecture non-experts.
Architects arrive late to the Artificial intelligence era, and it can be considered innocent to think that such a shift in humanity will be not affecting our discipline enough to have to train our future architects with basic AI related skills. It is precisely within the Architectonic field were a more disconnected and disjointed debate is taking place.
This course intends to contribute to the improvement of this disconnection through the general improvement of an Artificial Intelligence background, customized for architect, so they can be future leaders in the future transdisciplinary work environments.
Nowadays, the next step within the Digital Architectural Era has been stepped forward. This first digital era “formal” approach has been discarded to step into new Artificial Intelligent based design methodologies.
In that sense architects are trying to understand and investigate the messy description of nature discarding the 90’s digital aesthetics based on the new AI based possibilities.
With a clearly interdisciplinary approach, the program proposes to deepen in the relationship between Architecture and Computation within the methodological process of design through the study of Artificial Intelligence and its algorithm. Deep Learning (DL), Machine Learning (ML), Multi-Agent System Design (MAS), Person-centered Ambient Intelligence (AAL), Evolutionary Computation (EC), Shape Grammar (SG) or Linear and Logistic Regression (LR) become part of the architectural design from the nano-scale to the territorial scale, both in the data analysis process, Data Mining, as in theoretical discourse as well as in the language consolidation process.
New digital approaches, intelligent system finding based, started to be proposed 10 years ago. The idea of complex systems with intelligent components with emergent behaviors was proposed as the basis for design developments. Design of buildings as dynamical systems based on their continuous variation caused by the intelligence of their components interacting with each other, is proposed as the cause for the emergent properties that will configure in the future architectonic design.
The main aim of the program is to provide designers with a wide knowledge of the field and to abilitate them to be able to work in transdisciplinar environments in the future.
As Artificial Intelligence is widely affecting all layers of human society and research disciplines it is considered to be of fundamental importance to create a program that will prepare designers for that future situation.
It is proposed a full-time intensive training in Artificial Intelligence techniques applicable to several types of designers’ processes.
One of the main focus of the program structure will be flexibility, allowing the contents to be updated annually depending on the last Artificial Intelligence breakthroughs. According to that idea, it is proposed Research Informed Teaching as the basis for teaching methodologies.
Topics in depth studios 2020-21
Artificial Intelligence based teaching must have the flexibility for updating content regularly. Artificial
Intelligence is a discipline that is exponentially growing in content, making previous algorithmics obsolete even monthly.
As an example, we can take for example the obsolescence op perceptron based algorithms with the appearance of Deep Learning Techniques.
Proposed topics for the first edition of the Master design by research subjects are:
● Optimization procedures for fabrication
● Interaction & Reflection; human-computer interaction and responsive spaces
● Space Syntax; self organized multi-agent environments
Skills and learning outcomes to be acquired by the student
As so, the learning process will be clearly divided in two main aims
● Obtaining a general knowledge about the Artificial Intelligence discipline as a whole, being able to understand its main aims, contents and research current interest for society.
● Developing the skills, mathematical and computational , for being able to apply along the practical
exercises the algorithmic processes that will be studied.
● Up to date Architects regarding key concepts on nowadays theoretical/technological debate
● Embedded Technologies | Calm Technologies Skills Artificial Intelligence based
● Collaborative practise | Inter & Transdisciplinar Architects
● Understanding of Research based Design
● Research skills development
● Holistic training regarding Artificial Intelligence for having competitive architects in future
● Understanding rigour and Method Shift on the “traditional” Architectural Practise
● Capabilities for managing Interaction-Participation-processing designs
Who can apply?
University graduates (with or without work experience) with university studies preferably in Architecture, Urban Planning, Engineering or Design who wish to expand their knowledge regarding the new shift in the Architectural discourse, being trained in Artificial Intelligence and Advanced Algorithmics so the can become computational experts on new technologies.
Professionals that have an interest in improving their technological skills regarding the implementation of Artificial Intelligent processes in new design methodologies in working environments.
Required level of education: Graduate Degree or Bachelor’s Degree + University Master’s Degree. Approximate credit load: 240 ECTS.
- Background discipline
- Demonstrate through the motivation letter their background knowledge about computational technology
- Other postgraduate studies
- Descriptions of relevant work experience
How to apply
- Register online
- E-mail the following documents to your designated programme advisor:
- A full CV (including a wide description of computational skills)
- Portfolio (format, content and length up to the student)
- 1 page motivation letter
- Original legal photocopy* of the university degree**
- Original legal photocopy* of the transcript** of the university studies studied
- One passport size photograph.
- Photocopy of passport.
- A signed copy of the UIC Barcelona general conditions (ﬁnd attached to the conﬁrmation e-mail you receive after registering online)
- A signed copy of the UIC Barcelona data protection form (ﬁnd attached to the conﬁrmation e-mail you receive after registering online)
- A filled in and signed copy of the grant survey referring to any external grants/financial aid for which you may have applied
- Certificate of competence of English or evidence of ability in the language (minimum B2)
- Photocopy of other university degrees, including postgraduate degrees or proof of work experience
- Recommendation letters (optional)
* Document must have an oﬃcial stamp from your university
** If you do not yet have your Diploma, please submit the proof of payment of the diploma issuance fees or a document from your university certifying your expected date of graduation.
Shortlisted candidates will be appointed for an online (Skype) or telephone interview only if Master’s committee representatives consider any clarification must be done about candidate’s CV.
- Reserve a place: Pay the deposit (20% of the total fee) via international transfer
- Enrollment fee: Pay the remaining amount (80% of the total fee) via international transfer
Accommodation and Visas
Students are responsible for ﬁnding accommodation and acquiring visas.
National and international students (Europe, Asia, Africa and Oceania).
- Ruth Regalón: email@example.com
Barcelona. Phone number. +34 932 541 800
For more information for international students (North America and Latin America):
- Susana Expósito: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone number./ Whatsapp. +506 8627 5629