Theoretical Aspects in Conscious Sedation with Nitrous Oxide and Other Techniques in Dental Practice
In recent years, the field of Dentistry has evolved dramatically to the point that it is virtually essential to know about and keep abreast of new developments in order to administer high-quality dental care.
This course is aimed at professionals, general practitioners and specialists seeking to enter the field or consolidate their knowledge of sedation in dentistry in general and by means of nitrous oxide in particular.
Experienced lecturers in this field will teach theoretical classes and present clinical cases using the techniques described.
The programme provides an advanced overview of nitrous oxide sedation in dentistry whilst also reviewing areas such as clinical pharmacology, medical gases and the physiopathology of sedation in general. The aim of this course on sedation and nitrous oxide is for students to improve the quality of their treatment by acquiring theoretical knowledge that will help them understand the clinical applications and therefore safely administer treatments.
- 6 april 2022, from 8.00pm to 11.00pm (ONLINE)
- 13 april 2022, from 8.00pm to 11.00pm (ONLINE)
- 20 april 2022, from 8.00pm to 11.00pm (ONLINE)
- 27 april 2022, from 8.00pm to 11.00pm (ONLINE)
- 4 may 2022, from 8.30pm to 10.30pm (ONLINE)
- To update current knowledge on conscious sedation.
- To be able to plan treatments using nitrous oxide sedation.
- To describe the basic components of inhalation sedation equipment.
- To analyse the function of each component.
- To learn and analyse techniques for applying nitrous oxide sedation, indications and contraindications.
- To learn and analyse the advantages and disadvantages of inhalation sedation.
- To learn, prevent and treat complications associated with inhalation sedation.
- To update knowledge on pharmacology applied to sedation.
Competences to be acquired by students
- The programme provides cutting-edge knowledge, techniques and action protocols in line with the latest trends in the field.
- Students progress and improve the quality of their dental treatment, allowing them to compare techniques and see which are more suitable for dealing with the most complex cases.
- Once the programme has been completed, students will be able to undertake the necessary practical training to carry out the majority of treatments that require sedation using these techniques.
This programme is aimed at all professionals (doctors, stomatologists, dentists) looking to update and broaden their knowledge in the field of general dentistry and its specialities.
- Dr. Víctor Gil
This course consists of: an 14-hour online theory course on sedation, gas management, pharmacology applied to sedation and related legislation and regulations.
6 april 2022, from 8.00pm to 11.00pm (ONLINE)
- Sedation and Conscious Sedation. Oxygen and nitrous oxide, therapeutic and toxic effects. Historical evolution of anaesthesia and sedation. Complications of anaesthesia.
- Alternative sedation techniques. Stress reaction and physiopathological consequences.
- Patient selection criteria according to medical history and risk. ASA classification. Organisational, technical and legal aspects of conscious sedation in dental practice.
13 april 2022, from 8.00pm to 11.00pm (ONLINE)
- Behavioural management in paediatric dentistry. ODP drug management. Sedation protocol in paediatric dentistry. Clinical application of conscious sedation. Indications and contraindications. The concept of "base line" and its individualisation. Clinical effects on patients.
- Benzodiazepines. Pharmacological bases and clinical application. Oxygen and nitrous oxide: pharmacology, therapeutic and toxic effects.
20 april 2022, from 8.00pm to 11.00pm (ONLINE)
- Application protocol in adult patients (video).
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation + semi-automatic external defibrillator. Theoretical concepts.
27 april 2022, from 8.00pm to 11.00pm (ONLINE)
- Toxicity in dental offices. Environmental toxicity.
- Other non-incremental sedation techniques.
- Pharmacology applied to sedation. Other sedatives. Interaction and side effects.
4 may 2022, from 8.30pm to 10.30pm (ONLINE)
- Clinical cases
Prerequisites & admissions
To be a stomatologist or dentist.
Entrance criteria and conditions or special entrance exams
Documentary justification of the corresponding qualifications.
Body responsible for admission
Secretary of the Faculty of Dentistry.