Curso Teórico-Práctico Básico para Higienistas Dentales
The dental hygienist is part of the team responsible for the patient’s oral health, together with the stomatologist or dentist.
The role of the hygienist is the result of higher-level professional training that allows them to perform technical-healthcare functions.
One of the hygienist’s main competences is performing a correct mechanical scaling and root planing treatment. Most courses offer the possibility to learn these techniques through phantoms. Performing the course at the Faculty of Dentistry at the Universitat Internacional de Catalunya offers the possibility to use the University Dental Clinic installations and practice on patients. Therefore, the course aims to promote the students’ practical abilities by making the most of the advantages that the University provides.
- To learn all the causal, diagnostic, prognostic concepts and treatment plan in the periodontal phase I.
- To learn how to implement scaling and root planing with different curettes and instruments.
Competences to be acquired by students
- To give the hygienist a complete picture regarding handling the periodontal patient and acquiring practical abilities for daily clinical work.
- To learn non-surgical treatment, clinical protocols and the equipment used.
Who is it aimed at
This course is aimed at dental hygienists with an interest in periodontics. It aims to expand their theoretical-practical training in the periodontal hygiene phase. All the theoretical concepts will be reviewed and put into practice on phantoms and patient.
- Dr. José Nart
- Dr. Neus Carrió
- Periodontal and peri-implant anatomy.
- Aetiology of periodontal and peri-implant diseases.
- Clinical diagnosis of periodontal and peri-implant diseases.
- Periodontics Prognosis.
- Non-surgical treatment of periodontitis: scaling and root planing. Concept and evidence of effectiveness. Equipment: catheters, curettes, sound, ultrasound and rotary equipment.
- Periodontal reassessment. Scaling limitations. Surgical treatment indications.
- Periodontal maintenance. Concept and evidence of effectiveness.
Laboratory practice on phantoms:
- Identification of curettes, cutting edges and condition of the instrument.
- Curette sharpening with stones and automatic grinders.
- Scaling and root planing on phantoms: insertion, stabilisation, fulcrum and activation.
- Operator positions.
University Dental Clinic
Practice on patients. The goal is to put into practice all the concepts learnt. Each student will have the chance to deepen their knowledge and solve questions. The student will be able to work with the patient while supervised by a dentist, a student from the Periodontics Master’s and an instructor from the course.
Prerequisites & admissions
Prerequisites and admissions
To be a Dental Hygienist