Curs Teòric-Pràctic Avançat per la Higienistes Dentals
The dental hygienist is key in terms of the promotion of oral health, and plays an important role in all stages of periodontal treatment, from diagnosis, monitoring the risk factors of the disease, non-surgical periodontal treatment, long-term loyalty and oral maintenance.
Dental hygienists are members of the oral health team managing the patient, along with the stomatologist or dentist, and it is essential that they have a broad overview of dentistry to be able to make referrals.
- To update professionals in the diagnosis and treatment of periodontal and periimplant disease.
- To manage specific clinical procedures to resolve cases involving difficult access and technical complexity.
- To review the most important concepts of scaling and root planing.
- To learn the basic concepts of preventative dentistry.
- Medical emergency management, special patient management and medical commitment.
- To provide a comprehensive overview of medical-oral pathologies.
Competencies to be acquired by students
The course is divided into three intensive days and is designed to provide the student with theoretical knowledge, as well as skills based on the clinical practice of the learned concepts. This course provides tools to organise the treatment and follow-up of periodontal patients by establishing relationships with other dental specialisations.
This course is aimed at dental hygienists.
- Dr. José Nart
- Dra. Neus Carrió
- Non-surgical diagnosis and treatment of periodontal conditions
- New developments in clinical and X-ray diagnoses of periodontal and peri-implant diseases. Genetic and microbiological diagnosis.
- New classification of periodontal and peri-implant diseases
- Effectiveness of non-surgical periodontal treatments. New instrument systems for teeth and implants.
- When to continue with the next phase of active treatment for periodontal disease?
- How to determine suitable and personalised guidelines for periodontal maintenance
- Antiseptics, local and systemic antimicrobials in periodontology
- The role of the dental hygienist in surgical treatment
- Instrument sterilisation in a dentistry clinic
- 1.1.The importance of instrument processing
- 1.2.The correct layout of an instrument processing room
- 1.3.Instrument processing protocol
- Introduction to the principles of periodontal surgery
- 2.1.Instruments and equipment needed for periodontal surgery
- 2.2.Preparing the patient and the operating field
- 2.3.Maintaining operating equipment
3. Surgical periodontal treatment
3.1. Indications for and benefits of periodontal surgery
3.2. Post-operative care
Module on preventative dentistry:
- Diet and dental health
- Saliva: components and functions in good oral health
- Cavity diagnosis methods
- Cavity risk factors and risk classification
- Cavity treatment
- CAMBRA protocol. Prevention protocols
- Minimal intervention dentistry: dental prophylaxis, fissure sealing, fluoride treatment
- Dentin hypersensitivity
Module on special patients and patients with medical conditions Oral health conditions:
- Discussion of clinical cases involving oral health conditions seen on the course.
- Learn how to distinguish between benign, pre-malignant and malignant lesions.
- Understand basic autonomy, lesions that require a biopsy and biopsy and suture techniques
- Discussion on clinical cases involving special patients and patients with medical conditions Practical group-work session
- Practice on phantom models
Instruments for phantom models:
- Identifying curettes, their cutting edges and the state of the instrument
- Sharpening curettes using a sharpening stone
- Scaling and root planing on phantom models: insertion, stabilisation, fulcrum and activation
- Operator positions, visibility, lighting and distance
Seminars on clinical cases
How to document cases involving periodontics patients step by step
Photographing, editing and monitoring patient progress
- Practicums with patients: University Dental Clinic (CUO)
Practicums with patients.
The aim is to perfect the practical side to periodontics learned in Phase I.
Students will work directly with patients performing tasks such as probing
periodontal charting, radiographic studies, scaling and root planing treatments and
The aim is to attend periodontal surgery, understand why surgery was necessary and practice the role of a dental hygienist in surgical periodontal treatment.
Prerequisites & admissions
- To be a dental hygienist.