Curso Intensivo en Disfunción Craneomandibular y Dolor Orofacial
Craniomandibular dysfunction (CMD) and orofacial pain (OP) are very prevalent in the general population. These syndromes encompass a large number of pathologies of the craniomandibular and cervical and scapular area. (Nearly 100% of people will experience OP at some point in their life.) CMD and OP include some of the most important symptoms of craniomandibular/cervical muscular pathologies, as well as temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMD), orofacial neuropathies/neuralgias (mainly trigeminal), and primary headaches (migraines, tension-type headaches, trigeminal autonomic headaches).
Postgraduate training in the field of CMD and OP is currently very scarce in Spain. There are very few continuing education courses targeted at general dentists. The course offer at the university level is particularly scant. This intensive weeklong course is thus designed to offer participants a classic and current vision of CMD and OP at both the diagnostic and treatment levels.
- Diagnose and carry out a correct treatment plan for muscular and temporomandibular joint disorders.
- Know how to interpret x-rays and MRIs with CMD disc and bone pathologies.
- Know the causes of, diagnose and carry out a correct pharmacological treatment of orofacial pain.
- Learn the classic and current occlusion patterns.
- Establish the link between occlusion and CMD and its importance in oral rehabilitation.
- Know the physical therapy treatment for temporomandibular disorders.
- Know how to diagnose and refer surgical cases.
- Know how to diagnose and treat simple cases of sleep disorders and SAHS.
- Learn to make and adjust oral orthotics and deprogramming appliances.
- Employ new technologies based on the use of oral scanners and 3D printers in the production of oral orthotics and appliances.
- Correctly use the articulator as a diagnostic, prognostic and treatment planning tool.
- Learn about everyday clinical situations through the discussion and analysis of clinical cases.
- Learn about the psychology of and behavioural therapy for dysfunctional and OP patients.
Competences to be acquired by students
- Students will know how to diagnose and carry out a correct treatment plan for muscular and temporomandibular joint disorders.
- They will learn to diagnose disc and bone pathologies in CMD patients using radiological and MRI techniques.
- They will know about orofacial pain, its causes, its diagnosis and the correct pharmacological treatment.
- They will learn the classic and current occlusion patterns.
- They will know how to establish the link between occlusion and CMD and understand its importance in oral rehabilitation.
- They will acquire the necessary physical therapy knowledge for the treatment of temporomandibular disorders.
- They will be able to diagnose and refer surgical cases.
- They will learn to diagnose and treat simple cases of sleep disorders and SAHS.
- They will carry out and obtain a Michigan-type occlusal splint. They will learn to make and adjust oral orthotics and deprogramming appliances.
- They will know how to employ new technologies based on the use of oral scanners and 3D printers in the production of oral orthotics and appliances.
- They will correctly use the semi-adjustable articulator as a diagnostic, prognostic and treatment planning tool.
- They will analyse and discuss everyday clinical situations based on clinical cases.
- They will acquire knowledge of the psychology of and behavioural therapy for dysfunctional and OP patients
- The course is aimed at Graduates in Dentistry or Medicine (Stomatologist).
- Dr Jordi Tomàs
- Dr Natalia Felipe
The general objective of the curriculum is to offer a multidisciplinary vision of craniomandibular dysfunction and orofacial pain. The theoretical classes and practical portion will be conducted according to the classic and current approaches to CMD.
The teaching staff will include lecturers specialised in various fields (psychology, radiology, ENT medicine, physical therapy) together with the CMD teaching staff from the UIC Barcelona Faculty of Dentistry.
Participants will thus acquire the maximum amount of information about the classical and current state-of-the-art with regard to CMD, occlusion, physical therapy, radiology, etc.
Prerequisites & admissions
Prerequisites and admissions
The course is intended for holders of a degree in dentistry and oral medicine specialists.