Master's Degree in Teaching English as a Foreign Language
Reasons to study this master’s degree
To improve a range of professional competences as an EFL teacher or educational specialist and to be able to:
- Identify educational needs and design proposals of educational innovation.
- Improve teaching and learning processes in bilingual and multilingual contexts.
- Promote the development of learners’ linguistic, plurilingual and digital competences and intercultural awareness.
- Work efficiently in multilingual, multicultural and interdisciplinary professional and/or academic contexts
This online master’s degree provides advanced teacher training in innovative methodologies and approaches to language acquisition and teaching English as a Foreign Language (EFL) to help improve teaching skills and competences. The master's degree combines an online teaching-learning environment, online contact sessions and a school teaching placement. The placement can be carried out in the candidate’s country of residence or abroad, through our pre-existing contacts with schools in Finland, the UK, Ireland, and the USA.
This is the master’s degree for you if you are a pre-primary or primary teacher, a secondary school teacher, or if you teach in a non-regulated language school. It will also be of interest to you if you are part of a school management team and you would like to discover new perspectives on teaching and learning English as an additional language.
The growing importance of English as a global language, its introduction at increasingly younger ages in nursery school as well as the widespread implementation of CLIL have radically changed the needs, objectives and realities in the area of the teaching and learning of English as a foreign language (EFL) in schools. Therefore, schools need professionals who are not only highly proficient in the English language but also have the necessary teaching skills and competences to be able to respond effectively to the current demands of the school context as well as capable of working in multilingual, multicultural and interdisciplinary professional contexts.
- To train English as a foreign language (EFL) teachers to efficiently apply different theoretical models and innovative methodological approaches to the teaching, learning and acquisition of EFL processes in bilingual and multilingual contexts, both in compulsory, vocational, formal and non-formal education and in the business sector.
- To train teachers by helping them to acquire theoretical and practical knowledge and the appropriate skills to promote the development of plurilingual and intercultural awareness among their students.
- To train specialists by helping them to acquire theoretical, practical and interdisciplinary knowledge about educational research models and methodologies in the field of acquisition, teaching and learning of (first, second and foreign) languages in different contexts and at different educational levels.
- To train professionals to be able to efficiently work in multilingual, multicultural and interdisciplinary professional and/or academic contexts.
- To train professionals to efficiently use the English language and academic skills in English, both orally and in writing, for academic and professional purposes.
Prerequisites & admissions
- The minimum required level of English to access this master’s programme is B2+
- Open to holders of degrees and diplomas in pre-primary and primary education
- Open to holders of a degree who are involved in teaching at a pre-primary, primary, secondary, or upper-secondary level
- Open to professionals (with a degree) involved in non-formal education who aim to teach English as a foreign language