Assessment and Response to the Wish to Hasten Death in Patients with Advanced Disease
The assessment and response to the wish to hasten death in patients with advanced disease (ERDAM) course offered by the WeCare Chair of the Universitat Internacional de Catalunya’s Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences aims to train health professionals in the management of the wish to hasten death that can occur in people with advanced disease.
The course provides training for professionals to explore, assess and address the wish to hasten death (DAM). Through exercises and assessment, candidates will demonstrate that they know how to address and manage these patients.
- Train the student in the early detection of the wish to hasten death, as well as respond in a meaningful way, within a clinical context.
- Acquire theoretical knowledge about the aspects that underlie the appearance of the wish to hasten death.
- Acquire or improve self-confidence in complex conversations, specifically in the assessment and response to the wish to die.
- Acquire theoretical knowledge on the legislative and ethical framework around the manifestation of the wish to hasten death.
Physicians, nurses, psychologists, social workers, and other health disciplines in contact with patients who express a wish to hasten death.
Endorsed by the Spanish Society for Palliative Care (SECPAL)
- Theoretical and expositional online classes
- Resolution of clinical cases through videos with simulated patients
- On-site sessions
- Study of relevant articles
- Participation in discussion forums
- Tutorial follow-up
- Dr Joaquim Julià - Universitat Internacional de Catalunya
- Dr Cristina Monforte - Universitat Internacional de Catalunya.
- Dr Alberto Alonso-Babarro - Universidad Autónoma de Madrid.
- Dr Rogelio Altisent - Universidad de Zaragoza
- Dr Albert Balaguer - Universitat Internacional de Catalunya.
- Dr Alazne Belar - Universidad de Navarra.
- Dr Jaime Boceta - Universidad de Sevilla
- Dr Carlos Centeno - Universidad de Navarra
- Dr Miguel Ángel Cuervo - Universidad de Extremadura.
- Dr Iris Crespo - Universitat Internacional de Catalunya.
- Dr Mariona Guerrero - Universitat Internacional de Catalunya.
- Dr Marina Martínez - Universidad de Navarra.
- Dr María Nabal - Universitat de Lleida.
- Dr Josep Porta - Universitat Internacional de Catalunya
- Dr Javier Rocafort - Universidad Francisco de Vitoria, Madrid.
Presentation and introduction to the course.
Wish to hasten death: Conceptual and epidemiological aspects.
Clinical assessment of the wish to hasten death: clinical context, indications and contraindications, guidelines and instruments (SAHD, DDRS, AFEDD). Clinical cases (what to do and what not to do).
Clinical response of wish to hasten death (Part 1).
Clinical response of wish to hasten death (Part 2).
The family facing the wish to hasten death. Role of the family (obligations and limits), conversations with the family. Clinical cases (what to do and what not to do).
Ethical, anthropological and legal aspects in requesting the wish to hasten death in Spain.
Virtual structured objective clinical examination (ECOE) of decision-making and situation management based on real case videos.