Master's Degree in Data Science in Health
While taking this Master’s degree, the following academic objectives are aimed for:
- Learning advanced statistics concepts.
- Raising awareness of advanced data science techniques applied to healthcare.
- Teaching students to use statistical data science software in research and healthcare management.
- Teaching students to do research in public health, epidemiology, and in clinical research using large databases.
- Teaching students how to interpret and communicate scientific results.
- Training students to use large databases in the field of healthcare management.
In the end, through the learning-teaching process, a professional profile will be developed leading to outgoing students who have the ability to provide solutions to the challenges involved in research and healthcare management using large databases.
Who is this programme for?
Professionals holding diplomas in
- Science or Science graduates (Mathematics, Statistics, Data Engineering, Physics, IT, etc)
- Health Sciences (Bioengineering, Biomedical Science, Biochemistry, Bioscience, Microbiology, and Medicine) with a strong interest in data analysis.
Technological progress in recent years in health sciences and the digitalisation of the healthcare environment has generated huge avalanches of data (big data) of different types which come from the most diverse gadgets, sensors, medical devices, case reports, personal mobile phones, etc. This data is diverse in terms of its type and structure, and it represents an important and necessary technical challenge in terms of how to exploit it. This progress makes the urgent need to train experts who are capable of extracting meaning from this health data and provide it with value for healthcare institutions even more evident.
This new Master’s degree programme, which will have a duration of one academic year (60 ECTS) trains professionals to gain the ability to analyse healthcare data for research and management purposes using the most advanced techniques (data mining, business analytics, machine learning, deep learning, etc.). Also, different types of statistical software will be used (R, SQL, Phyton, Power BI, Hadoop, NoSQL, etc.) to provide solutions and help in intelligent decision-making based on the data and improve health among the population.
The Master’s degree programme will provide students with the necessary knowledge that is most in demand within the working field of research and healthcare management. The aim is to particularly look in-depth into advanced statistics applied to health, public health, epidemiology and healthcare management based on data. Additionally, most of the subjects in this Master’s degree use software that is specific to data science, including a high level of programming content.
In short, this Master’s degree will turn students into leaders for the fourth industrial revolution in the healthcare sector.
Prerequisites & admissions
The documentation required for this postgraduate degree can be found by clicking on the following link:
- Required documentation
- Accreditation of the bachelor’s degree or diploma in:
- Science (Mathematics, Statistics or Engineering)
- Health Sciences (Bioengineering, Biomedical Science, Biochemistry, Biosciences, or Microbiology)
There will be no special entrance examination but the profile of each applicant will be assessed individually.
If there are high numbers of applicants, the course directors will analyse each candidate’s CV (awarded up to 6 points) and conduct personal interviews (awarded up to 4 points).
To do this Master’s degree it will be necessary to have a laptop since all of the classes will be highly practical.
Grants & financial aid
Reservation and enrolment
Once the admission process is complete, students will make a payment of 20% of the full cost of the Master's degree, in order to reserve their place on the course, after they have received an official letter of admission.
Once the enrolment is complete, students will make a single payment of the remaining 80%.
UIC Barcelona holds agreements with various banks that provide funding for your study programme with special discounts
There are also private and public companies that offer grants and funding for study programmes.
Discounts are available for Alumni members.
Additionally, certain groups may be eligible for special discounts for specific programmes.