Sedación Consciente con Óxido Nitroso en Odontología y Soporte Básico con DEA 1a Edición
In recent years the field of Dentistry has evolved in a spectacular manner. This means that remaining up to date in terms of knowledge in this area is almost essential in order to achieve high quality dentistry.
This programme is aimed at professionals, both generalist and specialist, who wish to expand their knowledge in the field of dentistry. The advantage of this programme is that it combines theory sessions with in vitro practical sessions using the materials and techniques explained.
During the practical session there are at least two lecturers present, so they become very closely supervised and personalised sessions.
The programme offers an advanced perspective on sedation using nitrous oxide in dentistry and cardiopulmonary resuscitation, but also covers concepts of the clinical pharmacology of medical gases and offers practical sessions on cardiopulmonary resuscitation and the use of defibrillators and equipment for conscious sedation with nitrous oxide. The nitrous oxide sedation course aims to ensure students improve the quality of the treatment they provide, and that they can safely handle treatment.
- Update current knowledge on conscious sedation.
- Be able to plan treatments using nitrous oxide sedation.
- Describe the basic components of inhalation sedation equipment.
- Analyse the function of each of the components.
- To learn and analyse the techniques for applying nitrous oxide sedation, indications and contraindications.
- To learn and analyse the advantages and disadvantages of inhalation sedation.
- To learn, prevent and treat complications association with inhalation sedation.
- To update knowledge on pharmacology applied to sedation.
- To learn how to undertake cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- To learn how to use an AED.
Competences and learning results to be acquired by students
- The programme “Conscious Sedation with Nitrous Oxide in Dental Practice” provides an update of knowledge, techniques and protocols for action in line with the latest trends in this field.
- The student makes progress and improves quality in his or her dentistry treatments. As it is a theoretical and practical course, the student will practise under the constant supervision of a lecturer. This allows the student to compare and see which techniques are best for handling more complex cases.
- Having completed the programme “Course on Conscious Sedation with Nitrous Oxide in Dentistry”, the student will be able to handle with discernment the majority of treatments for sedation using this technique.
The conscious sedation with nitrous oxide course in dental practice is a programme aimed at professionals (oral medicine doctors and dentists) who would like to update and broaden their knowledge in the field of general dentistry and specialist areas.
- Dr. Manuel Ribera Uribe
- Dr. Víctor Gil
Concept of Sedation and Conscious Sedation
- History of anaesthesia and sedation.
- Stress reaction and physiopathological consequences.
- Criteria for selecting patients by medical history and risk. ASA classification.
- Use of medications in paediatric dentistry.
- Benzodiazepine: pharmacological bases and clinical application.
- Oxygen and nitrous oxide: Pharmacology and therapeutic and toxic effects.
- “Sedation machines”. Organisational, technical and legal aspects of conscious sedation in field of dentistry.
Theoretical aspects of basic cardiopulmonary resuscitation and semi-automatic defibrillator
- Causes of cardiac arrest.
- Chain of survival.
- Recognition of situation of cardiac arrest. Activation 112 service.
- Importance of quality CPR.
- What is an AED and what is it used for. Safety in use.
- Legal aspects.
- Algorithm of action in cardiac arrest.
Clinical application of conscious sedation: indications, contraindications
- Concept of “baseline” and its individualisation.
- Clinical effects on patient.
- Protocol of application in adult patient (with video projection).
- Safety at the scene.
- Assessing consciousness.
- Opening airway.
- Activation of medical emergency system.
- High-quality thoracic compression. Rescue ventilation.
- Use of AED.
- Simulation of CPR+AED practices.
- Handling conscious sedation equipment.
- Practice by and on students to demonstrate effect of machine
Prerequisites & admissions
Prerequisites and admissions
To be graduated in dentistry or health sciences or to be a stomatologist.
Grants & financial aid
5% discount for Alumni members