Curs Teòric-Pràctic Avançat per la Higienistes Dentals
The dental hygienist is key in terms of the promotion of oral health, and plays an important role in all stages of periodontal treatment, from diagnosis, monitoring the risk factors of the disease, non-surgical periodontal treatment, long-term loyalty and oral maintenance.
Dental hygienists are members of the oral health team managing the patient, along with the stomatologist or dentist, and it is essential that they have a broad overview of dentistry to be able to make referrals.
- To update professionals in the diagnosis and treatment of periodontal and periimplant disease.
- To manage specific clinical procedures to resolve cases involving difficult access and technical complexity.
- To review the most important concepts of scaling and root planing.
- To learn the basic concepts of preventative dentistry.
- Medical emergency management, special patient management and medical commitment.
- To provide a comprehensive overview of medical-oral pathologies.
Competencies to be acquired by students
The course is divided into three intensive days and is designed to provide the student with theoretical knowledge, as well as skills based on the clinical practice of the learned concepts. This course provides tools to organise the treatment and follow-up of periodontal patients by establishing relationships with other dental specialisations.
This course is aimed at dental hygienists.
- Dr. José Nart
- Dra. Neus Carrió
- Non-Surgical Diagnosis and treatment of periodontal diseases.
- The role of the dental hygienist in surgical treatments
The aim is to learn all the causal, diagnostic, prognostic, and treatment plan concepts in periodontal stage I. To learn how to perform scaling and root planing at the same time using various currettes and other tools. Another fundamental objective is to look in greater depth into the sterilisation of instruments in the dental clinic; to learn the principles of periodontal surgery and the specific surgical tools used in periodontal surgery.
Preventiative dentistry module
The aim is to provide an updated theoretical programme addressing topics such as diagnostic protocols and dental caries prevention protocols.
Special and medically compromised patients module. Medical-oral pathology
The aim is to train dental hygienists who are aware of the medical and pharmaceutical pathologies that condition dental treatment in patients who are older or have disabilities. The aim is also to provide clinical knowledge of oral-medical pathology to teach participants to assist in diagnostic tests and to manage the most frequent alterations that may appear in the oral cavity.
Clinical Sessions Seminars
How to document periodontal patient cases step by step.
Practice on patients: University Dental Clinic (CUO)
Practice on patients. The goal is to put into practice all the concepts learnt. Each student will have the chance to deepen their knowledge and solve questions. The student will be able to work with the patient while supervised by a dentist, a student from the Periodontics Master’s and an instructor from the course.
Laboratory practice on phantoms
Instrumentación en fantomas:
- Identification of curettes, cutting edges and condition of the instrument.
- Curette sharpening with stones.
- Scaling and root planing on phantoms: insertion, stabilisation, fulcrum and activation.
- Operator positions, visibility, lighting and separation.
Prerequisites & admissions
Prerequisites and admissions
To be a dental hygienist.
Grants & financial aid
5% discount for Alumni members