Since 2018, Dr Sílvia Perpiñán has been a research fellow at the Institute for Multilingualism at UIC Barcelona, where she works on second and third language acquisition, the maintenance of heritage languages, Catalan/Spanish bilingualism and other multilingualism contexts from a linguistics perspective. She earned an MA and PhD in Romance Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign in 2010, and in 2016 became an associate professor at the University of Western Ontario in Canada. She is a member of the consolidated research group ALLENCAM (Language Acquisition from Multilingual Catalonia) at the Pompeu Fabra University. Her main research interests are: the development and nature of non-native languages; syntactic and morphological theory applied to second language acquisition and bi/multilingualism; language change induced by language contact and second language development; the maintenance of heritage languages.
- Perpiñán, S., Marín, R. & Moreno, I. (forthcoming). The role of aspect in the developmental stages of the acquisition of ser and estar with objects and events by English-speaking learners of Spanish. Language Acquisition.
- Perpiñán, S. (2018). On Convergence, Ongoing Language Change, and Crosslinguistic Influence in Direct Object Expression in Catalan-Spanish Bilingualism. Languages,3 (2): 14. doi.org/10.3390/languages3020014
- Perpiñán, S., Heap, D., Moreno-Villamar, I. & Soto-Corominas, A. (ed.) (2017). Romance Languages and Linguistic Theory 11. Selected Papers from the 44th Linguistics Symposium on Romance Languages (LSRL), London, Ontario. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Perpiñán, S, (2017). Language Change at the Individual Level? A comment to ‘The relevance of first language attrition to theories of bilingual development’, by M. Schmid and B. Köpke, Linguistic Approaches to Bilingualism,7 (6): 750-753. doi 10.1075/lab.00018.per
- Perpiñán, S. (2017). Catalan-Spanish Bilingualism Continuum: The Expression of Adverbial Clitics in Different Types of Early Bilinguals. Linguistic Approaches to Bilingualism, 7 (5): 477-513. doi.org/10.1075/lab.15004.per
- Judy, T. & Perpiñán, S. (ed.) (2015). The Acquisition of Spanish in Understudied Language Pairings. Issues in Hispanic & Lusophone Linguistics. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Judy, T. & Perpiñán, S. (2015). The importance of crosslinguistic comparison in the study of the acquisition of Spanish. In T. Judy & S. Perpiñán (ed.). The Acquisition of Spanish in Understudied Language Pairings (pp. 1-18). Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Perpiñán, S. (2015). The locative paradigm in the L2 Spanish of Catalan native speakers. In T. Judy & S. Perpiñán (ed.). The Acquisition of Spanish in Understudied Language Pairings (pp. 105-132). Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Perpiñán, S. (2015). L2 Grammar and L2 Processing in the Acquisition of Spanish Prepositional Relative Clauses. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 18 (4): 577-596. doi-org/10.1017/S1366728914000583
- Bruhn de Garavito & Perpiñán, S. (2014). Subject pronouns and clitics in the Spanish interlanguage of French L1 speakers. In Canadian Linguistic Association Conference Proceedings.
- Perpiñán, S. (2014). Locatives and existentials in L2 Spanish: the acquisition of the semantic contrasts between ser, estar and haber. Second Language Research, 30 (4): 485-514.
- Perpiñán, S. (2013). Accounting for variability in L2 data: type of knowledge, task effects and linguistic structure. In J. W. Schwieter (ed.). Innovative research and practices in second language acquisition and bilingualism (pp. 165-191). Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Perpiñán, S. & Moreno, S. (2013). Inversion and case assignment in the language of Spanish heritage speakers. In Canadian Linguistic Association Conference Proceedings.
- Perpiñán, S. (2012). Optionality in Bilingual Native Grammars. In Monika S. Schmid& Barbara Köpke (ed.). First Language Attrition (pp. 127-156). Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- Perpiñán, S. (2011). Optionality in Bilingual Native Grammars. Language, Interaction and Acquisition, 2 (2): 312-341.
- Montrul, S. & Perpiñán, S. (2011). Assessing differences and similarities between instructed heritage language learners and L2 learners in their knowledge of Spanish Tense-Aspect and Mood (TAM) Morphology. Heritage Language Journal, 8 (1): 90-133.
- Perpiñán, S. (2008). Acquisition of prepositional relative clauses in two types of Spanish-English bilinguals. In J. Bruhn de Garavito & E. Valenzuela (ed.). Selected Proceedings of the 10th Hispanic Linguistics Symposium (pp. 107-119). Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Proceedings Project.
- Montrul, S., Foote, R. & Perpiñán, S. (2008). Knowledge of wh-movement in Spanish L2 learners and heritage speakers. In J. Bruhn de Garavito & E. Valenzuela (ed.). Selected Proceedings of the 10th Hispanic Linguistics Symposium (pp. 93-106). Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Proceedings Project.
- Montrul, S., Foote, R., & Perpiñán, S. (2008). Gender agreement in adult second language learners and Spanish heritage speakers: The effects of age and context of acquisition. Language Learning, 58 (3): 503-553.
- Montrul, S., Foote, R., Perpiñán, S., Thornhill, D. & Vidal, S. (2006). Full Access and Age Effects in Adult Bilingualism: An Investigation of Spanish Accusative Clitics and Word Order. In N. Sagarra & Toribio, A. J. (ed.). Selected proceedings of the 9th Hispanic Linguistics Symposium (p. 217-228). Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Proceedings Project.
- Perpiñán, S. & Montrul, S. (2006). On Binding Asymmetries in Dative Alternation Constructions in L2 Spanish. In C. A. Klee & T. L. Face (ed.). Selected Proceedings of the 7th Conference on the Acquisition of Spanish and Portuguese as First and Second Languages (pp. 135-148). Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Proceedings Project.