Foreigner Identity Card for students (TIE)
What is the Foreigner Identity Card for students (TIE)?
The residence card (TIE) is a physical card containing the foreign identity number (NIE). It is obligatory if your stay in Spain is more than six months (>180 days) in Spain
How can I make an appointment (“Cita Previa”)?
You can schedule an appointment to apply for a TIE:
- on the official website. Download the Step-by-Step NIE/TIE Application Guide to make an appointment
- via the official “Cita Previa” APP (only available for Android)
What documents do you need to obtain a TIE?
The TIE application process changes frequently. Last we checked (April 2017), the documents required to obtain a NIE are as follows:
- EX-17 application form: original and copy, both duly completed and signed.
- Receipt of fee payment (approx. € 15.60) from bank.
- One recent 32x26 mm colour photographs, with a white background, taken from the front, with your head fully uncovered. Make sure you are not wearing dark glasses or any other garment that may prevent or hinder your identification.
- A letter from the university stating your passport number and confirming your enrolment.
- Your passport and visa, original documents and copies.
- Private health insurance policy that covers all risks in Spain for the duration of your studies (original and copy). If you take out private health insurance in your country of origin, it must be translated into Spanish by a sworn translator.
- Printed proof of your scheduled appointment.
- The registration certificate (empadronamiento/padrón) providing evidence of your address in Catalonia.
Recommended websites with related information:
Business Administration and Management
School of Architecture
T. +34 930 541 831
Campus Sant Cugat / C/Terré building
Josep Trueta s/n.
08195 Sant Cugat del Vallès (Barcelona)
T. +34 935 042 000