Foreigner Identity Card for students (TIE)
Do I need a Residence Permit?
Yes, if your period of study is due to last more than three months (>90 days), you must apply for a Residence Certificate or Permit for EU Citizens.
When and where must I apply for it?
Within one month (30 days) of entering Spain. To apply for one, you must request an appointment with the Spanish National Police.
How and where can I make an appointment (“Cita Previa”)?
You must schedule an appointment at:
On the official website or through the official app "Cita previa" (only available for Android).
You can make an appointment at the Spanish National Police station on Rambla de Guipúscoa, 74 08020 Barcelona, or at any other police station in the Province of Barcelona.
After making an appointment, you will need to pay the application fee and submit all required documents.
If you need help, we can contact legal professionals who can help you carry out this process.
What documents do you need?
The TIE application process changes frequently. Last we checked (April 2017), the documents required to obtain a NIE are as follows:
- EX-15 application form: original and copy, both duly completed and signed.
- Receipt of fee payment (approx. €12) from bank.
- A letter from the university stating your passport number and confirming your enrolment.
- Your passport and visa, original documents and copies.
- European Health Card or private health insurance policy that covers all risks in Spain for the duration of your studies (original and copy). If you take out private health insurance in your country of origin, it must be translated into Spanish by a sworn translator.
- Printed proof of your scheduled appointment.
- Registration certificate (empadronamiento/padrón).
How long will it take?
Once you have submitted your application, you will immediately be issued a certificate of registration which includes your name, nationality and the address that appears in your application, the Spanish Foreign ID number (NIE) assigned to you and the registration date.
Recommended websites with related information:
- Procedure and necessary documents for requesting the residence permit:
Business Administration and Management
School of Architecture
T. +34 930 541 831
Campus Sant Cugat / C/Terré building
Josep Trueta s/n.
08195 Sant Cugat del Vallès (Barcelona)
T. +34 935 042 000