- Clinical periodontics
- Epidemiology, Diagnosis and Classification of Periodontal Diseases.
- Etiology: bacterial-host interaction, immunology, risk factors and associated, relationship with other systemic diseases, genetics.
- Forecast and treatment plan.
- Hygienic phase treatment or non-surgical procedures.
- Antiseptic agents and antibiotics.
- Surgical periodicity: resective surgery, introduction to regenerative and mucogingival surgery.
- Interrelations with other dental specialties.
- Maintenance therapy.
- Preoperative medical assessment of the patient
- Selection criteria: ASA classification
- Patient's case history: model questionnaires
- Buccal medicine
- White lesions
- Red lesions
- Vesicular/bullous lesions
- Oral cancer and biopsying
- Taxonomy of oral bacteria Study methods in microbiology
- The microbial biofilm concept
- Lines of evidence Pathogen determination criteria
- Mechanisms of pathogenicity Virulence factors
- Current concepts in periodontal microbiology
- Pathogens with a strong association
- Pathogens with a moderate or initial association
- Microbiological diagnosis in periodontics: culture
- Microbiological diagnosis in periodontics: PCR and real-time PCR
To get to know the classical literature, critically evaluate scientific papers in the field of periodontics, become familiar with classical articles and perform an in-depth review of articles published in the past 20 years. The programme will also expand the surgical part to the regenerative and mucogingival surgery. The students will participate as listener.
- Scaling and root planing seminar: Understanding and use of the different types of curettes and their sharpening.
- Surgical seminar: Practice incisions, different surgical techniques and sutures. Regenerative surgery and mucogingival surgery
- Clinical seminar:Discuss and assess the diagnosis, treatment plan and hygienic- and surgical-phase treatment performed by students.
- Clinical practicals in patients: Treatment of patients with moderate and advanced chronic periodontitis. Performance of the hygienic and surgical phase and interdisciplinary treatment with other departments.
The surgical treatment includes the resective, the regenerative and the mucogingival surgery if required by the patients attended by the students.
Courses and conferences
Research and Conferences: Students must reserve time to study documentation, literature, clinical case presentations, etc. The presentation of a communication and/or poster at conferences and/or symposia is compulsory.
Study programme and subjects 2018-2019
|Subjects in course||Type||Term||ECTS|
|Medicina y Patología Oral (TRANSV)||OB||Anual||1,00|
|Seminar About Raspat i Allisat Radicular||OB||Anual||0,50|
- ECTS: European Credit Transfer System
- Term: calendar term
- Dra. Mariana Baglivo
- Dra. Núria Bertos
- Dra. Neus Carrió
- Dra. Núria Casals
- Dr. Javier Mareque
- Dr. Javier Mora
- Dra. Carolina Mor
- Dr. José Nart
- Dra. Blanca Paniagua
- Dr. Andrés Pascual
- Dra. Ana Poveda
- Dra. Rosalía Rodríguez
- Dra. Marzia Savoini
- Dra. Cristina Vallès
- Dra. Lucía Barallat
- Dra. Beatriz de Tapia
- Dra. Raquel García