Over recent years, the treatment of maxillofacial conditions with orthognathic surgery has undergone a revolution. The reach and objectives of this kind of surgery have been redefined so as to cover three basic pillars:
- Correcting underlying malocclusion and skeletal discrepancy.
- Upper airway obstruction management.
- Harmonisation of facial aesthetics.
At present, there are currently no continuing education programmes in this field in any University, either in Spain or abroad. This hands-on course aims to provide participants with a comprehensive practical overview of all the techniques involved in the orthognathic surgery spectrum, including ancillary procedures to optimise aesthetic results. To this effect, we have designed a predominantly practical course using cryopreserved cadaver heads.
- To review the relevant clinical anatomy for treating maxillofacial conditions.
- To review and practice all the contemporary techniques in orthognathic surgery.
- To review and practice all the contemporary techniques in facial aesthetics in the context of orthognathic surgery.
- To review and practice basic contemporary techniques in speedy orthodontics.
- To provide an update of surgical techniques in this field of knowledge.
Competences and learning outcomes to be acquired by students
- One-piece Le Fort I osteotomy
- Three- or four-piece Le Fort I osteotomy
- Minimally invasive techniques (“twist technique” by Dr Hernández Alfaro)
- Sagittal split osteotomy
- Anterior segmental osteotomy (frontblock)
- Chin wing
- Internal and external condylectomy
- Rigid Internal Fixation: our protocol
- How to approach eventual complications
- Zygomatic osteotomies:
- Sandwich osteotomy
- Buccal fat pad transposition
- Facial liposculpturing
- Orthopaedic miniplates
This course is aimed at trainees or specialists in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, from Spain or abroad, who wish to expand their knowledge in orthognathic surgery.
Applicants with other backgrounds: acceptance will be at the discretion of the programme management.