Other languages of instruction: Catalan, English
If the student is enrolled for the English track then classes for that subject will be taught in the same language.
Tuesdays & Thursdays after class and by appointment sending an e-mail
One cannot pick up a newspaper or magazine without reading about something directly related to the word economy: Is the recovery going to take hold or will there be a double dip? What are central banks doing to regulate financial institutions and prevent the next crisis? Will the US dollar appreciate or depreciate against the yen and the euro? What is the effect of the macroeconomic environment on firm's internationalisation decisions and private business performance? How does it affect internal strategy-setting?
This course develops the analytical framework required for understanding these issues and their impact on business. At the end of the course you will be expected to assess critically how possible developments in the world economy will affect the economic environment and your businesses. You should finish the course with a clear understanding of the arguments for and against specific policies, and you should be able to analyse their effects on consumers, employees and businesses.
The course has two characteristics: firstly, it has an international slant. The vast majority of examples and case studies will deal with the international economy and multinational companies. Secondly, this course is extremely practical; concepts and models will only be discussed to the extent that they have a direct bearing on the understanding of real-life situations.
Macroeconomics 1, Macroeconomics 2
The overall objective of this course is to identify the main factors driving the performance of the world economy and its influence on the design of macroeconomic policies.
- 08 - To understand how leading world economies work, their institutions and interconnections.
- 09 - To identify emerging economies as well as the underdeveloped world, and to analyse applied growth policies.
- 10 - To identify long-term economic growth factors and understand the impact of globalisation.
- 22 - To be able to identify the nature and behaviour of producers, consumers and investors.
- 52 - To develop interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a team.
- 56 - To be able to create arguments which are conducive to critical and self-critical thinking.
- 67 - To be able to express oneself in other languages.
- Strategic analysis of corporate and government behaviour through homework and classroom activities.
- Through written assignments, look for information, case studies and articles concerning countries' economies.
- Identify of main globalisation drivers and their effect on countries' economy performance through written tasks.
- Oral presentations of written assignments related to teamwork assignments.
- Writing reports and presenting the main ideas obtained.
- Final examination to assess overview of subject.
- Individual exercises based on country and company reports.
- Economic Development & Economic Systems
- International trade system - GATT/WTO
- Government intervention in trade
- Economic integration stages
- Main trade agreements
- International monetary & financial system - WB, IMF, cryptos
- International courts
- Industry 4.0
- Leaders, influencers, lobbies; mental models
- Recent international agreements & discussions
- Balance of Payments
- Capitalism & Globalization consequences
- New mental paradigms, new businesses, new economic systems
- Your mission and vision about economics, businesses, and indicators
Teaching and learning activities
Activities can be grouped into four major types: class exercises, group presentations, individual reports, practical sessions with guest speakers.
Evaluation systems and criteria
- Multinationals case study: 10%
- Guest speakers’ questions: at least one question will be included in the final exam
- Group presentation: 10%
- Group report: 10%
- Your mission and vision: 10%
- Final exam: 60% (at least you have to get 5/10 points in order to pass the course)
* 0.5 extra points to those students who participate at the E&S Day
* minus 0.5 points to those students who do not present the 3 minutes class topic presentation when called
* extra 0.2 points to those students who do present the 3 minutes class topic presentation when called
The second sitting (in June or July) will use the same criteria as the first sitting. The resit exam will count 60% of the course grade and the other 40% will be the grade obtained during the course.
NO LATE SUBMISSIONS ACCEPTED UNLESS REAL MITIGATION CIRCUMSTANCE PROVE.
Bibliography and resources