Other languages of instruction: Spanish
Every Monday: 10.00 – 13.00
Every Wednesday: 10.00 – 13.00
This course aims to increase students’ knowledge of materials. Students will be presented with the challenge of turning a concept into a reality based on the consideration of generic elements, thus introducing the requirements that generally determine any constructive experience within the field of horizontal structural enclosures: in this case, Roofing.
The aim is to encourage self-learning of construction with an emphasis on drawing as a tool for reflection and verification and as a means of learning how to read and assimilate construction terms.
Basic knowledge of materials and structural surround systems. Students are also required to have a certain level of skill in freehand drawing and some ability to tackle construction detail at every scale. In this respect, the knowledge acquired in the first-year construction course (Introduction to Architectural Construction) is essential.
To familiarize students with construction techniques in accordance with certain requirements, materials and techniques, it being understood that a construction system should always provide an effective solution to the main demands of the architectural project.
To approach the constructive vision from the design process, showing that all the elements produced respond to the mastery of certain systems, and getting students accustomed to questioning themselves about how things should be done.
To introduce students to an understanding of materials from the perspective of their behaviour and their respective unions: flat roofs, sloping roofs, landscaped roofs, cistern roofs, lightweight roofs (e.g. slats, textiles, natural materials, photovoltaic panels, etc.).
- 14-T - Ability to conceive, calculate, design, integrate in buildings and urban complexes and execute enclosure systems, roofs and other structural work
- 17 - Ability to apply building and technical standards
- 18 - Ability to preserve the structure of buildings, foundations and civil works
- 19 - Ability to preserve finished works.
- 20 - Ability to evaluate works
- 21 - Ability to preserve structural works
- 24 - To acquire adequate knowledge of the mechanics of solids, continuous medium and soil as well as the plastic, elasticity and resistance properties of materials for structural works
- 25 - To acquire adequate knowledge of conventional building systems and their pathology
- 26 - To acquire adequate knowledge of physical and chemical characteristics, production processes, pathology and the use of construction materials
- 27 - To acquire adequate knowledge of industrialised building systems.
The student should be able to determine the most appropriate building material in each case to solve the roofing of a structure and, at the same time, be able to establish the most suitable type of construction.
Roofs: history, geometry, water and materials. Technology: engineering and tradition.
The resistant layer of a roof: the slab.
Lightweight roofing (pergolas): slats, tensile fabric, natural materials, etc.
Sloping roofs, flat roofs, landscaped roofs and cistern roofs.
Materials applied to roofs: aggregates, agglomerates, coupled roofing and membranes, studying their different movements and unions.
Specific manufacturers’ data sheets: thermal and acoustic insulation, waterproof sheets, landscaped and cistern roofing, etc.
Teaching and learning activities
The course is structured in two main blocks: theory and practical.
The first block is always on theory, concentrating on elements that demonstrate examples of paradigmatic elements with a strong presence of “classic” practitioners of contemporary architecture. Every week the theoretical part will always involve a practical case study for solving and a visit by a specific manufacturer of roofing material who will explain to the class how this material is used in roofing. The central idea is that the weekly master class on theory will always be followed on by a practical exercise on what has been explained in the previous theory class.
The practical section is about demonstrating the knowledge acquired during the first part of the course and applying it through the technical development of the roof of the project that students have been developing in the course on architectural planning. This helps to give students a very hands-on way of applying what they have learnt in the construction course to their project.
It is very important to bear in mind that due to the situation generated by COVID-19, the classes of the first theoretical block will be carried out as follows:
· On Mondays from 3:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. the class will be taught online. Students will have to connect to the Collaborate platform through the access that will be enabled from the Moodle platform of the subject. It should be noted that on Mondays the master classes (theoretical classes) on the various main topics of the course will be held.
· On Wednesdays from 3pm to 6pm the class will be in person in the classroom assigned in the course hours. It should be noted that on Wednesdays there will be technical presentations by technical experts in materials and / or construction systems related to the subject of the course (Roofs) and resolution of practical cases of the theory that was taught the previous Monday. The resolution of practical cases allows us to reinforce and ensure the understanding of some important concepts in addition to teaching and explaining new ones.
|Clase expositiva||12-T 13-T 14-T 15-T 16-T 17 18 19 20 21 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33||1,25|
|Clase participativa||12-T 13-T 14-T 15-T 16-T 17 18 19 20 21 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33||0,12|
|Clase práctica||12-T 13-T 14-T 15-T 16-T 17 18 19 20 21 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33||0,42|
|Tutorías||12-T 13-T 14-T 15-T 16-T 17 18 19 20 21 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33||0,71|
|Estudio individual o en grupo||12-T 13-T 14-T 15-T 16-T 17 18 19 20 21 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33||2,5|
|TRAINING ACTIVITY||COMPETENCES||ECTS CREDITS|
|Class exhibition||12-T 13-T 14-T 15-T 16-T 17 18 19 20 21 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33||1,25|
|Class participation||12-T 13-T 14-T 15-T 16-T 17 18 19 20 21 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33||0,12|
|Clase practice||12-T 13-T 14-T 15-T 16-T 17 18 19 20 21 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33||0,42|
|Tutorials||12-T 13-T 14-T 15-T 16-T 17 18 19 20 21 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33||0,71|
|Individual or group study||12-T 13-T 14-T 15-T 16-T 17 18 19 20 21 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33||2,5|
Evaluation systems and criteria
Evaluation is based on attendance, participation in the course, project notes on each practical assignment and the final examination grade. Students’ capacity to assimilate concepts and evidence of a positive and consistent sense of logic will also be assessed.
The main points to highlight in the system of evaluation are:
- The student’s attendance in class (both in the case of the ONLINE class and in the PERSONAL class).
- Any student who misses more than 40% of the classes will be failed automatically.
- The student’s participation in the class will be assessed, especially in the practical classes on case studies and project development.
- To pass this subject it is essential to complete the course project and sit the final examination.
- No grade equal to or below 3.5 will be factored into the average grade.
- Any work submitted late or badly presented will not be accepted.
- In the case of retakes, only the examination result will be taken into account.
Bibliography and resources
- PARICIO, IGNACIO: La Construcció de l'Arquitectura. Vol 1, 2 i 3. Barcelona, GG, 1988.
- JOSEP-LLUÍS GONZÁLEZ: Les claus per a construir l'arquitectura. Vol 2 i 3. Del volúm 2 capítol 1 i 9, del volúm 3 capítol 6 i 9.
- REID, D.A.G.: Principios de Construcción. Barcelona, GG, 1980.
- VARIS: Diccionari Manual de la Construcció, ITEC, Barcelona, 1986.
- ANDRÉS MARTINEZ: Habitar la cubierta. Ed. GG
Bibliografia de Consulta:
- SCHILD, OSWALD, ROGIER: Estanqueidad e impermeabilización en la edificación Tomos 1, 2, 3, 4, y 5. Barcelona, ETA, 1978.
- Revista TECTÓNICA (especialment nº 6 i 8)
- Revista DETAIL (tots els exemplars en general)
- Revista TC Cuadernos (tots els exemplars en general)
- Tratado de construcción, editorial Gustavo Gili. Autors: Heinrich Schmitt i Andreas Heene.
- Introducción a la Construcción I y II. Monografias