Other languages of instruction: Spanish
The School of Architecture of the International University of Catalonia was founded 20 years ago. Since that first year, 1997, the Vertical Workshop has always been an important event which strongly identifies with the spirit of ESARQ-School of Architecture.
The Vertical Workshop consists of a workshop lasting approximately ten days which is held at the beginning of each course and involves all students from years 1 to 5, mixed up to form teams with the aim of solving the chosen assignment.
All the workshops are led by internationally-renowned architects. During the workshop, School of Architectureis transformed into an architectural laboratory in which several working teams strive to find a solution to the same project.
An essential part of the workshop is the deep involvement of the chosen directors who should be capable of managing, organizing and leading the working groups. The optimum operation and performance of the group depends on them to a large extent, as does the quality of the final work submitted.
During the Vertical Workshop, students learn how to work as part of a team, how to manage their time properly, and how to optimize their skills and working tools. There is also healthy competition between the different teams of teachers and students.
The aim of the Board of Directors of School is to orchestrate the workshop as a means of communication and debate with the clear objective of finding solutions to a specific challenge, usually of benefit to the community.
School of Architecture offers a small number of architectural students from other universities the chance to join the Workshop, which incentivizes the formation of bonds and relationships between universities and with the corporate world.
- 34-T - Ability to design, practice and develop basic and execution projects, sketches and blueprints.
- 35-T - Ability to conceive, put into practice and develop urban projects
- 40 - Ability to express architectural criticism.
- 48 - To acquire adequate knowledge of the general theories of form, composition and architectural typologies
- 54 - To acquire adequate knowledge of the aesthetics, theory and history of Fine Arts and Applied Arts.
- 63 - Ability to conceive, put into practice and develop architectural and urban planning projects adapting with new times.
- 64 - Ability to conceive, put into practice and develop architectural and urban culture.
- 65 - Ability to recognise contemporary characteristics and freedom in the understanding of architecture.
- 68 - Ability to apply the aesthetics, theory and history of Fine Arts to architecture and urban planning.
- 69 - Ability to discover the critical-cultural dimension of the role of the architect
- 70 - Ability to understand the main ideas in complex texts, both on specific or abstract topics in English, as well as participate in technical discussions in the professional field of architecture.
- 71 - Ability to speak to native speakers of English with a certain degree of fluency and spontaneity and without strain for the speakers.
- 72 - Ability to produce clear, detailed text in English in a wide range of topics, especially on architecture and express a point of view in English on an issue stating the advantages and disadvantages of various options.
- 73 - To acquire adequate knowledge of research, experimentation and innovation in architecture.
- 74 - To acquire adequate knowledge of new architectural concepts and practices.
Evaluation systems and criteria
1. Suitability for the chosen scenario, sensitivity to the surrounding area.
2. Cost of the project.
3. Build feasibility.
4. Architectural quality.
5. Consistency between the proposal and final design of the display unit.
6. Special features of the display unit to explain the project.
7. Knowledge and skills acquired by the students.
Bibliography and resources
Los Talleres Verticales realizados hasta el momento:
1. DATASCAPE WORKSHOP − Costa ibérica − the Façade.
Dir. Winny Maas − MVRDV (curso 1997-1998)
2. LITORAL: ANOTHER ENERGY
Dir. Duncan Lewis & Greenpeace (curso 1998-1999)
3. HUMAN CATASTROPHIES
Dir. Manel Gausa − Felipe Pich Aguilera − Médicos Sin fronteras (curso 1999-2000)
4. ARQUTECTURAS NUMÉRICAS − Nuevos modos de producción en la era digital.
Dir. Bernard Cache − OBJECTILE PARIS (curso 2000-2001)
5. AGUA Y ARQUITECTURA
Dir. Dennis Dollens + Ignasi Pérez Arnal − (con AGBAR) (curso 2001-2002)
6. THE ARCHITECTURE OF NON ORIENTABLE SURFACES
Dir. Karl Chu (curso 2002-2003)
7. BARCELONA SPEED AND FRICTION
Dir. Kas Oosterhuis (curso 2003-2004)
8. EUROPEAN SKYSCRAPERS
Dir. Josép Lluís Mateo (curso 2004-2005)
9. LIMINAL EVOLUTIONS
Dir. Mike Weinstock (curso 2005-2006)
10. BARCELONA − EMOTIONAL CITY
Dir. Jonathan Sergison − Stehpen Bates (curso 2006-2007)
Dir. Jaume Valor − Jorge García de la Cámara (curso 2007-2008)
12. GAMES: Between strategy and tactics − Un juego en un lugar
Dir. Carlos Ferrater − Carme Pinós (curso 2008-2009)
13. OBJETOS VIVOS, JUEGOS SOCIALES
Dir. Emilio Tuñón ˘ Luis Moreno Mansilla (curso 2009-2010)
14. ARQUITECTURA DE EMERGENCIA
Dir. Vicenç Sarrablo − Jordi Roviras − Borja Ferrater − Judith Urbano (curso 2010-2011)
15. INDÚSTRIA + HABITABILIDAD
Dir. Vicenç Sarrablo − Juan Trias de Bes − Jordi Roviras − Borja Ferrater (curso 2011-2012)
16. LUGARES DEL AGUA. FUENTES DE HORTA-GUINARDÓ.
Dir. Juan Domingo Santos - Vicenç Sarrablo - Jordi Roviras - Borja Ferrater (curso 2012-2013)
17. ARQUITECTURAS ESENCIALES
Dir. Alfons Puigarnau - Eugènia Balcells (curso 2013-2014)
18. WASHITECTURE: ARQUITECTURA DEL AGUA PARA ESCUELAS EN MARRUECOS
Dir. Estel Ortega - Tomeu Ramis (curso 2014-2015)
19. URBANMAKING, PUBLIC SPACE ELEMENTS FOR INCLUSIÓN
Dir. Raquel Colacios - Ivan Llach (curso 2015-2016)
20. “DOGGY BAG: LA REUTILITZACIÓ DELS RECURSOS CONDEMNATS”. L’ACCIÓ HORITZONTAL “SUPERILLAPILOT”
Dir. Iñaki BAQUERO-Eva Damiá-Jaime Batlle (curso 2016-2017)
21. EXHIBITION SPACES
Dir. Manuel Arenas-María José Díez-Aitor Estévez-Marta Delgado-Sergi Viñals (curso 2017-2018)