By appointment. In order to make an appointment, please request one by writing to Prof. Esteve Valls: email@example.com.
The aim of this subject is to offer students a review of the orthographic and grammatical foundations of the Catalan language so that they can produce formal written texts. In addition, since it is a short subject, it is fundamental to train students in the use of multiple online linguistic resources so that they can solve linguistic doubts autonomously. As a result, we intend students to be able to develop their own linguistic and communicative competence in the future with the support of these tools. Finally, we intend to make students aware that a correct command of the linguistic code will be essential for their future as audiovisual communicators.
To certify a C1 or equivalent level of Catalan under the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). Students unable to certify this level must agree with the teacher the itinerary they will have to follow in order to acquire a basic knowledge of Catalan.
- Consolidate the linguistic knowledge of students to ensure that they become competent users of the Catalan language in professional practice.
- Reinforce the competence of students to interpret, analyze and produce appropriate formal texts from both the normative point of view and from the communicative point of view.
- To develop the autonomy of learning of the students in the field of the language from the mastery of several tools for solving doubts.
- Promote the positive attitudes of students towards the knowledge and use of the Catalan language.
- 01 - The ability to adapt to varying circumstances
- 02 - The ability to understand, accept criticism and correct errors
- 03 - The ability to administer and manage human and technical resources
- 04 - The ability to work in a team and autonomously
- 05 - The ability to organise time and workspace
- 06 - The ability to develop academic rigour, responsibility, ethics and professionalism
- 08 - The ability of critical analysis, synthesis, concretion and abstraction
- 10 - The ability to confront difficulties and resolve problems
- 11 - The ability to generate debate and reflection
- 12 - The ability to meet deadlines, develop the ability to be punctual and respect for human, technical and material resources
- 13 - The ability to create spoken and written communication
- 14 - Knowledge and mastery of rhetoric and oratory to communicate own ideas
- 16 - The ability to manage, analysis and reflect on content
- 17 - The ability to contextualize and critically analyze the events of social reality and to represent Contemporary History
- 18 - The capacity and development of general culture and interest in social events
- 19 - The ability of informative documentation
- 20 - Knowledge and mastery of bibliographic media
- 21 - Knowledge and mastery of the digital culture
- 22 - Knowledge and mastery of the distinction between opinion and information / colloquial and cultured register
- 24 - The ability to plan and organize both short term and long term projects
- 25 - The ability to maximize creative development
- 26 - The ability to develop a sense of taste and perfection in the aesthetics and finalization of projects
- 49 - The ability to write fluent texts, step outlines or scripts
- 53 - Lingustic ability in Catalan, Spanish and English
Be able to speak and write correctly.
Acquire a better command of language, creativity.
Be able to manipulate language effectively according to their objectives and purposes of each communicative situation.
1. Accents, dieresis, apostrophes and contractions
1.1. Accents and dieresis
1.2. Diacritical accents
1.4. Contractions and prepositions
2. Vowels and nominal morphology
2.2. Gender (interferences from Spanish)
3. Online resources to autonomously solve linguistic doubts
4. Basic grammatical foundations of Catalan
Evaluation systems and criteria
Assessment criteria (students with a C1 level in Catalan) Grammatical quizzes (moodle): 30%. Autonomous resolution of linguistic doubts (using online resources): 10%. Group kahoot on normative language: 10%. Final exam: 50%. Passing the final exam is a requirement to pass the subject Assessment criteria (students without a C1 level in Catalan) Alternative itinerary using Parla.cat (evaluation activities included): 20%. Final exercise: 80%.
Bibliography and resources
Castellanos, Josep Anton (1997) Quadern: normativa bàsica de la llengua catalana. Bellaterra: ICE, UAB.
Ginebra, Jordi (2017): La nova normativa de l'Institut d'Estudis Catalans. Guia pràctica. Tarragona: Publicacions URV. Disponible en línia en aquest enllaç.
Institut d'Estudis Catalans (2016): Gramàtica de la llengua catalana. Barcelona: IEC.
Institut d'Estudis Catalans (2017): Ortografia catalana. Barcelona: IEC. Disponible en línia en aquest enllaç.
Institut d'Estudis Catalans (2018): Gramàtica essencial de la llengua catalana. Barcelona: IEC. Disponible en línia en aquest enllaç.
Institut d'Estudis Catalans (2019): Gramàtica bàsica i d'ús de la llengua catalana. Barcelona: IEC.
Martín, Míriam; Ferrús, Joan i Olga Capdevila (2020): Curset: mètode de català per a tothom. Barcelona: Blackie Books.
Nogué, Neus (2018): La nova normativa a la butxaca. Barcelona: PAM.
Rubio, Joana i Francesc Puigpelat (2000). Com parlar bé en públic. Barcelona: Pòrtic.