The Bachelor's Degree in Dentistry at UIC Barcelona will help you become a future professional who is capable of using good judgement and technical skill to prevent, treat and rehabilitate oral and dental disease. The solid academic education we provide is complemented by intensive hands-on training in the University Dental Clinic right from year one.
The programme provides knowledge of the structure and function of the oral cavity and teeth, the biomechanics of a normal and pathological dental apparatus and the most innovative techniques and procedures for treating these conditions.
Our curriculum places particular emphasis on basic sciences. We believe that, in order to achieve a solid scientific education, you must face practical challenges before graduation. Our University Dental Clinic is equipped with the cutting-edge technology required in 21st-century dentistry.
Our education is target-based. The Bachelor's Degree in Dentistry will provide:
- The ability to appreciate the need for professional development and continuing education.
- The ability to efficiently use advances in knowledge and technology.
- The values necessary for understanding the patient's central role in the therapeutic decision-making process.
Who is it intended for? Prospective students
If you have a calling to serve society in the area of health and science, this could be the right profession for you. We do, however, recommend that prospective students have a background in health sciences.
At UIC Barcelona, we work to enhance the following abilities:
- Discipline, memory and dedication
- Quick decision-making skills
- Psychological skills and empathy
- Emotional balance
- An interest in research
- Responsibility and observation
- Empathy towards other people's pain
By the time you finish your degree you will have acquired the competences necessary to work as a dentist.
These competences comprise the knowledge, attitudes, behaviour and technical skills you need at graduation to deal with the full range of situations that may surface in everyday practice:
As a dentist you must have up-to-date knowledge and understand the broad range of issues affecting dentistry. You must be proficient in a wide variety of skills: searching, research, analysis, problem solving, the handling of materials and instruments, planning, communication, coordination and teamwork, and understand how they are relevant to dentistry.
Communication and personal skills
Basic knowledge, information handling and critical thinking
Compilation of clinical information
Diagnosis and treatment planning
Achieving and maintaining good oral health
- Educate patients and provide patients of all ages and conditions comprehensive primary care that emphasises the present notions of oral disease prevention and treatment and stresses the need to maintain both overall and oral health.
- Diagnose and treat the most common diseases and disorders affecting the oral mucosa, jaw bone and salivary gland in patients of all ages and conditions.
- Treat disorders and diseases that require the use of simple surgical techniques on hard and soft tissue in patients of all ages and conditions.
- Treat periodontal disease in patients of all ages and conditions.
- Treat cariogenic and non-cariogenic dental pathology, including pulp and periradicular disease in patients of all ages and conditions.
- Restore and replace teeth, ensuring that they have an acceptable shape, function and appearance, in patients of all ages and conditions.
- Treat, to a limited extent, maloclussions in primary, mixed and permanent dentition in patients of all ages and conditions.
- Use adequate techniques to mitigate and treat orofacial pain and the anxiety associated with dental treatment in patients of all ages and conditions.
- Effectively prevent and treat most emergency medical and dental situations that may be associated with dentistry in patients of all ages and conditions.
- Provide uncomplicated, multidisciplinary, sequential and integrated treatment to patients of all ages and conditions.
Holder of a degree in Dentistry from UIC Barcelona.