Frequently Asked Questions to study abroad

About financing and programmes

What mobility options are available to me? (programmes and scholarships)

  • International mobility exchanges: Visit the mobility programmes section to see all the options. For more information, contact International Relations.
  • Joint programmes: You can also undertake part of your studies and gain a qualification with a partner university, through one of the joint programmes. For more information, contact your faculty’s administration department.

How long can I be in a mobility programme?

Mobility placements can last a semester or a full academic year. In the case of Erasmus+ grants, the maximum placement is 12 months, but financing is for less time.
Contact International Relations to find out the maximum and minimum number of months depending on the type of mobility and your faculty’s requirements.

I want to go to a university that is not in the list of agreements. What should I do?

If it is not in the list, then it does not have an agreement with UIC Barcelona. We cannot therefore guarantee you can attend this institution. However, we are open to the possibility of creating new agreements with other universities, provided they meet the common institutional and academic criteria. If this applies to you, contact International Relations for more information on timescales and how to do this.

How can I get information about grants? (or how can I find out about grants I could be eligible for and the procedures to follow?)

In the faculty’s information sessions on mobility.

How long does grant financing last?

It depends on the kind of programme.

Bilateral mobility is an unfinanced programme, but you can access assistance through MOBINT or Santander Iberoamérica, which are external organisations that are not part of UIC Barcelona.

For Erasmus+it will depend whether your placement is for study or a traineeship:

  • Maximum and minimum financing for studies: minimum 3, maximum 5
  • Maximum and minimum financing for traineeships: minimum 2, maximum 3 With Erasmus+ you can also request assistance from MOBINT.

How much is a grant worth?

When will I receive my Erasmus+ grant payment?

  • Erasmus+ grant payments are made in two parts: the first as soon as you arrive at the host university and you have sent us your certificate of arrival, and the second and last payment once you have returned to UIC Barcelona and handed in all the required programme documentation.
  • Payment of MOBINT and Santander Iberoamérica aid is not provided through UIC Barcelona; it is organised through the Generalitat and Santander Bank, respectively. You should therefore ask each organisation in charge of managing these programmes. The date may vary each year depending on when the calls are launched.

I am a student with a BEA grant. Will I receive this grant during my mobility placement?

Yes. The enrolment fee is paid at UIC Barcelona, so the grant will correspond to the amount you have to pay, with no variation.

About application and admission requirements

What steps and procedures are necessary to get onto the mobility programme?

Check out the process in detail here:

How do I apply, and what are the requirements and necessary documents?

It depends on which programme you wish to participate in and whether the faculty you belong to has any special requirements. Check out all the information on the:

Do I have to get good marks?

Places are first assigned on the basis of academic record. The better your average mark, the more chances you have of gaining a place and a mobility grant. In addition, each faculty has its own specific requirements relating to academic record. We therefore recommend you work hard right from the first term to achieve the best possible marks.

Can I take part even though I have failed some subjects at the time of going abroad?

Not usually, no. However, you should check the specific requirements of your faculty.

How many credits/ECTS are needed?

For this and other academic questions, contact your faculty's academic coordinator for international mobility.

Who can help me choose the host university?

Studying abroad is an important decision that will be key in your progress through university and will enrich your studies. It is therefore important you take the decision seriously. The first thing you should do is to check the list of available agreements in your faculty. You should select 3 destinations in order of preference. To do this, we recommend you visit the university website, and make a decision based on how well you speak the host country's language. You can also contact your faculty's academic coordinator for international mobility in your faculty.

Who can help me find a company to do my traineeship?

It is your responsibility to find a company where you can do your traineeship. However, you can contact the traineeship department at your faculty and the list of websites where you can find vacancies.

What is a Learning Agreement (LA) or a Training Agreement (TA)?

  • The LA is an agreement and subject validation between UIC Barcelona and the host university.
  • The TA is an agreement on the type of traineeship you will do at the university or outside company.
  • Both must be approved by UIC Barcelona and the outside institution before you begin attending. This applies to Erasmus, bilateral mobility and SICUE students.

What is the subsidy agreement?

This is the Erasmus+ contract in which you agree to fulfil your rights and obligations as an Erasmus student, and which specifies the duration of your placement and the amount of your grant. It only applies to Erasmus+ students.

What happens if I fail at the host university?

You have to resit the examination at the host university, or retake the non-validated credits at UIC Barcelona.

How are credits validated?

On your return to UIC Barcelona, once you have your marks certificate from the university you attended and according to the agreed terms of the Learning Agreement or Training Agreement.

Accommodation, immigration and other administrative procedures.

Who should I approach if I have questions or a problem during my placement?

  • Academic enquiries: the academic coordinator for international mobility in your faculty at UIC Barcelona.
  • For enquiries regarding payment of your grant, please contact the host university, the Relint 2.0 platform, or for immigration questions: the UIC Barcelona International Relations Service.
  • Other logistical issues (accommodation, class timetables and calendars at the host university, etc): depending on the nature of the process involved, the UIC Barcelona International Relations Service, the host university or the Spanish embassy or consulate in the host country.

How do I find accommodation in the host country?

The host university is responsible for giving you information about the accommodation options in the host country. They may offer you a place in a university residence. However, it is your responsibility to contact them to answer any queries you may have about this or to reserve a place in the accommodation they offer you.

When should I buy tickets to travel to the host country?

This is your own decision. However, at UIC Barcelona we recommend you do this as soon as possible once you have received the acceptance letter from the host university and you are 100% sure you meet the academic requirements of your faculty.

Do I need to pay an enrolment fee at the host university?

No. Enrolment fees for host universities are exempt from international mobility exchange agreements. Enrolment is carried out at the student’s home university, in this case UIC Barcelona, as if it were a normal academic year. Some universities may request payment of a symbolic amount to open the student record, or for use of sensitive material.

Bear in mind that some agreements may be specific joint programmes (for example summer schools) for which academic fees are paid at the host university.

What kind of administrative procedures do I need to complete to live in the host country?

You will need certain documents depending on the country you are travelling to.

If travelling outside the European Union, you must:

  1. Register as a citizen abroad
  2. Request a student visa from the host country's embassy in Spain. They will request a document such as an identity number or card.
  3. Take out medical insurance with international coverage.

If travelling within the European Union, you must:

  1. Register as a citizen abroad
  2. Acquire the European Health Card before travelling, and take out medical insurance to cover your entire placement.

In both cases the host country may require you to complete other processes relating to residency, e.g. obtaining a foreign resident ID number, etc. Ask the company, International Relations at your host university or the relevant embassy/consulate for all related information.