International Expert in Orthognathic Surgery and Surgical Orthodontics Course
The treatment of dento-maxillary anomalies through orthognathic surgical techniques and orthodontic surgery has undergone a diagnostic and therapeutic revolution in recent years. The introduction of new clinical and 3D diagnostic protocols, together with new techniques in the field of orthodontics and surgery, have opened up a new paradigm. Over the course of many years, the departments of Surgery and Orthodontics at UIC Barcelona have developed a comprehensive study programme on these treatments, by combining over 20 years of experience. This intensive, theoretical and practical programme allows our orthodontist and surgeon students to acquire all the tools they will need to perform these treatments in a reliable, effective and minimally invasive manner.
Excellence in the orthodontic-surgical treatment of dentofacial deformities
- To learn how to use diagnostic, clinical planning and 3D X-ray tools
- To master the essential concepts involved in the orthodontic management of surgical cases
- To incorporate surgical treatment techniques
- To understand the impact of orthognathic surgery on airways, soft tissues and the temporomandibular joint
- To emphasise the importance of the collaboration between the orthodontist and surgeon involved in these treatments
- To remain up-to-date on the latest advances in this field
Competences to be acquired by students
- Mastery of the diagnostic and planning processes involved in surgical cases
- Knowledge of the management protocols applied to each clinical situation
- Knowledge of case preparation protocols in conventional orthognathic surgery and in cases of early surgery or Surgery First
- Knowledge of surgical techniques for facial skeleton surgery
- Knowledge of soft tissue procedures
- Knowledge of the impact orthognathic surgery may have on airways, soft tissues and the temporomandibular joint
- Specialists and residents in Maxillofacial Surgery
- Specialists and residents in Orthodontics
- Orthodontic Surgeons or Stomatologists.
- Dr Federico Hernández-Alfaro
- Dr Andreu Puigdollers
- Dr Adaia Valls
- Dr Núria Clusellas
Monday, 31 May 2021 Diagnosis - Treatment objectives
- Introduction to the course and welcome
- The surgical patient from an orthodontic-surgical perspective
- Orthodontist-surgeon coordination Communication with the patient
- Facial analysis Aesthetic factors to facial harmony
- Differential diagnosis
- Diagnosis, Treatment Objectives and Treatment Plan 1.
- Treatment plan protocol in six steps
Tuesday, 1 June 2021 Orthodontic and surgical treatment plan. Presurgical orthodontics
- X-ray analysis. Tc-99m gammagraphy. Instructions. Monitoring protocol. 3D CBCT X-rays. Taking a record for virtual protocols.
- Psychology and motivation of the surgical patient.
- Diagnosis, Treatment Objectives and Treatment Plan 2. Treatment plan protocol in six steps. 2D STO planning.
- Orthognathic surgery and the temporomandibular joint.
- Rigid attachment methods.
- Surgical/orthodontic time protocols. Surgery First vs conventional surgery.
Wednesday, 2 June 2021. 3D planning of orthodontic-surgical treatment. Orthodontic -surgical time protocols. Surgery First vs conventional surgery. Orthodontic mechanics. Orthognathic surgery in syndromic patients.
- 3D surgical planning.
- Practicum. 3D imaging using Dolphin for clinical cases.
- Orthodontic preparation mechanics Conventional, SF/SE Clinical cases. Surgery First vs conventional surgery.
- Limits of surgical movements.
- Orthognathic surgery in syndromic patients.
Thursday, 3 June 2021 Surgical techniques. Complications in orthognathic surgery. Immediate presurgical orthodontics
- Surgical techniques for different osteotomies Pre- and post-surgical recommendations. Immediate surgical and post-surgical complications.
- Immediate pre-surgical and post-surgical orthodontic management
Friday, 4 June 2021 Post-operative stage and immediate post-surgical orthodontics. Airways.
- Care for post-surgical patients. Psychology. Communication with patients. Orthodontic treatment at the immediate post-operative stage. Complications.
- Post-surgical orthodontics and case completion. Completion protocol.
- Repercussion of skeletal movements on soft tissues.
- Orthognathic and respiratory surgery: Therapeutic approaches for OSAS.
- Cross-disciplinary dimension from the surgeon's point of view.
- Stability and relapses.
Saturday, 5 June 2021. Conferences and round table discussions with guest speakers
Dr Renato Cocconi, Dr Mirco Raffaini, Dr Pedro Lorente, Dr Carmen Lorente, Dr Gwen Swennen
B - ONLINE SEMINARS
Seminars on surgery
- Dr Rafael Alcalde (USA): “Management of Transverse Problems”
- Dr Jocelyn Shand (Australia): “The Role of Orthognathic Surgery in Paediatric Patients” 3. Dr Gabriele Millesi (Austria): “Treatment of Open Bite Deformities”.
- Dr Daniel Brusco (Switzerland): “Distraction osteogenesis of the maxillofacial skeleton”
- Dr Massimo Robiony (Italy): “Use of piezoelectric devices in orthognathic surgery”
- Dr Rodrigo Fariña (Chile): “Management of condylar hyperplasia”
- Dr Florencio Monje (Spain): “Orthognathic surgery and the temporomandibular joint”
- Dr Benito Ramos (Spain): “Orthognathic Surgery in SAHOS patients”
- Derek Steibacher (USA): “Fat grafting in orthognathic surgery”
- Dr Alicia Dean (Cordoba, Spain)
Seminars on orthodontics
- Dr Javier Prieto (Spain): “Treatment plan for orthognathic surgery”.
- Dr Carlos Villegas Bateman (Colombia): “Communication between the surgeon and orthodontist for Surgery First”
- Dr Carlos Flores-Mir (Canada): “Stability”
- Dr Flavio Uribe (USA): “Surgery First”
- Dr Christodoulos P. Laspos (Cyprus): “Orthognatic surgery and cleft patients” 6. Dr Manuel Lagravere Vich (Canada): “Analysis to determine three-dimensional skeletal and dental changes in orthodontic and surgical treatments”
- Dr Juan Fernando Aristizabal (Colombia): “Surgery First”
- Dr Nazan Kucukkeles: “Surgery assisted protraction of maxilla in Class III adolescents”
- Dr Eduardo Messen (Chile): “Orthodontic Preparation for Orthognathic Surgery”
- Dr Eduardo Vazquez: “Orthognathic surgery and the TMJ”
C - Clinical residencies
All participants will be invited to the Instituto Maxilofacial at the Teknon Medical Center to help plan cases and assist live surgery. This activity is optional and can be undertaken depending on the availability of both the participant and the Instituto Maxillofacial.
Dr Renato Cocconi, Dr Eduardo Espinar, Dr Pedro Lorente, Dr Carmen Lorente, Dr Javier Prieto, Dr Carlos Villegas Bateman, Dr Carlos Flores-Mir, Dr Flavio Uribe, Dr Christodoulos P. Laspos, Dr Manuel Lagravere Vich, Dr Juan Fernando Aristizabal, Dr Nazan Kucukkeles, Dr Eduardo Messen, Dr Eduardo Vazquez, Dr Puigdollers, Dr Marcos Costa, Dr Fernando de la Iglesia, Dr Ana Molina, Dr Oriol Quevedo, Dr Núria Clusellas, Dr Federico Hernández-Alfaro, Dr Adaia Valls, Dr Raquel Guijarro, Dr Jorge Masià, Dr Ramón Sieira, Dr Florencio Monje, Dr Benito Ramos, Dr Alicia Dean, Dr Jocelyn Shand, Dr Massimo Robiony, Dr Rafael Alcalde, Dr Gabriele Millesi, Dr Mirco Raffaini, Dr Orion Haas, Dr Rodrigo Fariña, Dr Daniel Brusco, Dr Derek Steibacher.
Prerequisites & admissions
- To hold a bachelor’s/undergraduate degree in dentistry or medicine (having specialised in stomatology)