International Expert in Orthognathic Surgery and Surgical Orthodontics Course
The treatment of maxillofacial deformities through orthognathic surgery techniques and orthodontics has undertaken a revolutionary evolution in recent years in terms of diagnosis and treatment. The incorporation of new clinical diagnostic protocols and 3D, together with new techniques in the field of orthodontics and surgery, have defined a new paradigm. The departments of Surgery and Orthodontics at UIC Barcelona have developed a comprehensive training programme over many years in this treatment area by sharing their experience of more than twenty years. An intensive theoretical-practical programme allows our orthodontist students and surgeons to be provided with all the necessary tools to perform these treatments in a predictable, effective and minimally invasive manner.
- Excellence in orthodontic-surgical management of dentofacial deformities.
- To provide diagnostic, clinical planning and 3D X-ray tools.
- To master essential concepts in terms of the orthodontic management of surgical cases.
- To incorporate the various surgical treatment techniques.
- To know the impact of orthognathic surgery on the airways, soft tissue, and the temporomandibular joint
- To emphasise the cooperation process between the orthodontist and the surgeon in these treatments.
- To remain up to date in the latest progress in this field.
Competences to be acquired by students
- Mastery of diagnostic and planning processes in surgical cases.
- Knowledge of the management protocols of each clinical situation.
- Knowledge of case preparation protocols in conventional orthognathic surgery and in cases of early surgery or surgery first.
- Knowledge of surgical techniques in facial skeleton surgery
- Knowledge of soft tissue procedures
- To know the impact of orthognathic surgery on the airways, soft tissue, and the temporomandibular joint.
- Specialists and residents in Maxillofacial Surgery
- Specialists and residents in Orthodontics
- Orthodontic Surgeons or Stomatologists.
- Dr Federico Hernández-Alfaro
- Dr Andreu Puigdollers
- Dr Adaia Valls
- Dr Núria Clusellas
- Intensive six-day course with theoretical-practical content to be carried out at UIC Barcelona.
- Online theoretical training via webinars
A- ON-SITE PROGRAMME:
Day 1: Introduction, Diagnosis- Treatment objectives
Day 2: Orthodontic and 2D (NEMOCEPH) surgical treatment plan. Pre-surgical Orthodontics Surgical times.
Day 3: Orthodontic and 3D (NEMOCEPH) surgical treatment plan. Orthodontic mechanics.
Day 4: Orthognathic surgery techniques Complications Orthognathic surgery in syndromic patients. Immediate pre-surgical and post-surgical orthodontic management.
Day 5: Post-operatory stage and immediate post-surgical orthodontics. Impact on soft tissues, airways, and condyles. Stability- relapse Rigid clamping systems.
Day 6: Lectures and round tables with guest speakers.
B – WEBINARS
Registration will be offered for webinars only (online lectures in orthognathic surgery and surgical orthodontics).
1-hour lectures and optionally a 1-hour discussion with the speaker will be allowed.
International speakers will give their sessions in English and national speakers in Spanish for national editions, but in English for international editions.
Dr Renato Cocconi, Dr Eduardo Espinar, Dr Pedro Lorente, Dr Carmen Lorente, Dr Javier Prieto, Dr Carlos Flores-Mir, Dr Flavio Uribe, Dr Christodoulos P. Laspos, Dr Manuel Lagravere Vich, Dr Juan Fernando Aristizabal, Dr Nazan Kucukkeles, Dr Eduardo Messen, Dr Eduardo Vazquez, Dr Andreu Puigdollers, Dr Marcos Costa, Dr Fernando de la Iglesia, Dr Ana Molina, Dr Oriol Quevedo, Dr Núria Clusellas, Dr Federico Hernández-Alfaro, Dr Adaia Valls, Dr Raquel Guijarro, Dr Jorge Masià, Dr Ramón Sieira, Dr Florencio Monje, Dr Benito Ramos, Dr Alicia Dean, Dr Jocelyn Shand, Dr Massimo Robiony, Dr Rafael Alcalde, Dr Mirco Raffaini, Dr Orion Haas, Dr Rodrigo Fariña, Dr Daniel Brusco, Dr Derek Steibacher, Dr Alejandro Mazarro, Dr David Neagu.cher.
Prerequisites & admissions
- To be in possession of an undergraduate/bachelor’s degree in Dentistry or Medicine (specialist area Stomatology).