Other languages of instruction: Catalan,
At the end of the class and by appointment by e.mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Management by missions is an innovative management method that combines the search for profit with the development of a purpose (Purpose and Profit). Through tools and methodologies validated in practice, management by missions guides the traditional management models towards people-centered management. Managing by missions is to make this discovery emerge in each person, in organizations of tens, hundreds and thousands of individuals, releasing an enormous force of personal motivation.
In the development of the subject, the discussion of practical cases, teamwork sessions, conferences of invited speakers, visits to companies and consulting experiences will prevail. Students will have the opportunity to see firsthand how companies transform their organizations through management by missions and will be trained in the development of practical tools for its implementation.
General knowledge of business strategy and organization is required.
Achieve an advanced understanding (broad, deep and complete) of business management.
Know how to apply the main techniques and tools of mission management.
Advance in the personal knowledge of oneself (strengths, values, motivations, ...) and its harmonization in work and professional career.
- 33 - To be able to search for, interpret and convey information.
- 37 - To be able to apply managerial methods, tools and techniques.
- 38 - To be able to connect the main variables (both formal and informal) which influence human behaviour in an organisation.
- 50 - To acquire the ability to relate concepts, analyse and synthesise.
- 51 - To develop decision making skills.
- 52 - To develop interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a team.
- 54 - To be able to express one’s ideas and formulate arguments in a logical and coherent way, both verbally and in writing.
- 56 - To be able to create arguments which are conducive to critical and self-critical thinking.
- 62 - To acquire mechanisms that facilitate the adoption of ethical commitments.
- 63 - To be able to analyse business related behaviour and decisions and evaluate them from an economic, social and ethical point of view.
- 65 - To acquire the ability to put knowledge into practice.
In this subject we will see how to develop companies with greater impact on society and, in turn, we will learn the key processes that drive a full professional life, focused on the personal purpose of each individual. On the conceptual side, we will study the economic, strategic, organizational, social and anthropological foundations of management by missions. In the practical side, which will be the main focus of this subject, we will study and discuss real cases of management by missions in companies from different countries and sectors.
1. Is there a relationship between culture and profit?
2. Different ways of understanding an organization
3. The limits of management by objectives
4. The “why” of the company
5. Missions: for whom does the company exist?
6. The values of a balanced culture
7. Activating the purpose
8. Purpose management tools
9. Missions driven leadership
Teaching and learning activities
- Discussion with managers of companies that practice management by missions in different countries and sectors.
- Study of practical cases.
- Practical learning of consulting tools.
Evaluation systems and criteria
- 50% final exam
- 35% discussion of cases and class work
- 10% Research work
- 5% Presentation of an article
Second call: 100% final exam
Bibliography and resources
- Rey, C.; Bastons, M.; Sotok, P., (2019), "Purpose-driven Organizations: Management Ideas for a Better World", Palgrave Macmillan, USA.
- Rey, C., & Bastons, M. (2018). "Three dimensions of effective mission implementation". Long Range Planning, 51(4), 580-585.
- Rey, C.; Chinchilla, N.; Pitta, N., (2017), "Objectives are SMART missions are WISE", IESE Insight, 2, 45-51
- Cardona, P.; Rey, C., (2021), "Management by Missions" 3rd Ed., Palgrave, New York.