Master's Degree in City Resilience Design and Management
About the master's degree
This master's degree is an innovative, international and multidisciplinary education programme that teaches students how to operationalise the most urgent calls for building more resilient and sustainable cities through urban planning and design, and how to frame adequate policies and governance models. This one-year programme provides the most up-to-date perspectives, methods and tools for dealing with the threat of climate change, natural disasters and the social and technical transformations required to minimise the environmental impact of the current global urbanisation trends, while addressing social justice.
Reasons to study this master's degree
- International professors and a global multidisciplinary perspective: This master's degree has been framed and supported by the International Urban Resilience Research Network, and the programme is taught by professors from some of the most prestigious universities and research centres dealing with urban resilience in different parts of the world. The programme's global and multidisciplinary perspective (it addresses the environmental, social, economic, planning and political aspects of urban studies) enables students to learn about and understand resilience challenges on an international, national and local city level, thanks to the dense network of research and teaching partners involved in this master's degree.
- Wide range of job opportunities: The programme is supported by the most prestigious foundations, networks and agencies dealing nowadays with city and community resilience. It includes a mandatory job placement period, which provides students the connections and work experience needed to ensure a successful and international career. A long list of cities from different continents have also pledged their support to the master's programme in the form of job placement opportunities in their city resilience units.
- Bridging research and practical experience with an innovative educational model: In this master's programme, students will bridge science and policy through workshops and active involvement in panel-like classes, fostering different points of view and constantly re-framing the business-as-usual strategies often seen in the creation and management of resilient cities.
In a world increasingly threatened by complex and rapid urbanisation and environmental, climatic and socio-economic change, this programme was created to meet the city practitioners' need to better understand and frame integrated strategies when implementing urban resilience policies and projects. At the same time, resilience is being addressed by different disciplines and from a wide range of perspectives, which sometime conflict in their meanings, approaches and methods, leading to a fragmented and confused framing of urban resilience. This master's programme provides the necessary interdisciplinary bridges, linking an integrated perspective on urban resilience to the management tools needed to design and implement city resilience.
Overview, objective and structure
The Master's Degree in City Resilience Design and Management is a one-year, full-time master's programme developed and coordinated by the International Urban Resilience Research Network and hosted by UIC Barcelona. Its title reflects the need to go beyond the "building resilient cities" paradigm, taking resilience as a process expressed through a set of capacities and emotional responses to a range of impacts; one that cannot be just "built or designed", but must be managed.
The aim of this master's degree is to provide students multiple perspectives and the multidisciplinary skills, tools and knowledge future city resilience officers require.
The programme is divided into 3 main blocks: on-site classes, a research project and work experience. The first part of the course follows a logical sequence that starts with theoretical aspects of resilience and urbanisation processes. The next four modules explore and integrate different views on resilience, related to i) the built environment and infrastructures; ii) nature and urban ecosystems; iii) economic and city services resilience; and iv) community resilience. The final and most extensive module uses a set of international case studies and workshops (on governance models, leadership and tools for managing resilience) to explore the challenges of implementation. As the course moves forward, Barcelona will be used as a case study due to its experience in resilience, and students will have the opportunity to take part in a workshop with the Barcelona Urban Resilience Lab.
Through these workshops, students will be linked to organisations, institutes and city resilience offices worldwide, giving them the opportunity to apply their learning and skills through job placement opportunities, supporting their career and city resilience strategies for a more sustainable urban future.
This programme is intended for university graduates from the following areas of urban studies:
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Urban Design
- Social and Political Sciences
- Landscape and Environmental Design and Management
- Regional Economy, Ecology.
Prerequisites & admissions
Who can apply?
This programme is intended for city practitioners and consultants with at least 2 years of work experience in fields related to sustainability and resilience, as well as university graduates from the following fields: Planning, Management, Urban Design, Engineering, Environmental and Social Sciences, Political Science, Geography and Architecture.
Required level of education: Graduate Degree or Bachelor’s Degree
How to apply
- Register online
- Upload the following documents to the student’s portal:
- Photocopy of your passport
- 1 passport-size photo
- Certiﬁed* copy of your diploma**
- Certiﬁed* copy of your academic transcript
- A signed copy of the UIC Barcelona general terms and conditions (attached to the conﬁrmation e-mail you will receive after registering online)
- A signed copy of the UIC Barcelona data protection form (attached to the confirmation e-mail you will receive after registering online)
- A filled in and signed copy of the grant survey referring to any external grants/financial aid for which you may have applied
- CV in English (maximum 2 pages)
- Motivation letter specifying what you expect from this programme and why you think you should be accepted (please include your Skype username in your signature)
* Document must have an oﬃcial stamp from your university
** If you are yet to receive your Diploma, please submit the proof of payment of the diploma issue fees or a document from your university certifying your expected date of graduation.
Application Process Deadlines for 2021-2022
First call for applications
- Deadline for submitting documents: 15 January 2021
- Skype interviews with preselected candidates: 18 - 29 January 2021 (Only if required)
- Communication of results: 01 February 2021
- Deadline to reserve a place: 15 February 2021
Second call for applications
- Deadline for submitting documents: 16 April 2021
- Skype interviews with preselected candidates: 19 - 30 April 2021 (Only if required)
- Communication of results: 03 May 2021
- Deadline to reserve a place: 17 May 2021
Extraordinary call for applications
- Deadline for submitting documents: 11 June 2021
- Skype interviews with preselected candidates: 14 - 18 June 2021 (Only if required)
- Communication of results: 21 June 2021
- Deadline to reserve a place: 5 July 2021
*Note: Skype interviews are made on a needs basis only. The purpose they serve is to clarify any questions regarding candidate's CV or cover letter, at the discretion of the Master's Team. Not all admitted students will be required to do an interview.
*Following each step, the applicants will be notiﬁed if they have been:
a) Accepted: You will receive your acceptance letter along with instructions on how to pay the deposit and reserve a place. Acceptance will only be conﬁrmed upon payment.
b) Placed on a waiting list: Your application will be reviewed again during the next call.
c) Not accepted
Documents submission must be complete in order to include the applicant in each admission call. If some documents are missing, your application will be kept until completed and reviewed during the next admission call.
- Reserve a place: Pay the deposit (20% of the total fee) via international transfer
- Enrollment fee: Pay the remaining amount (80% of the total fee) via international transfer
- Enrollment date: 9 July 2021
- Deadline to pay the enrollment fee: 23 July 2021
Accommodation and visas
Students are responsible for ﬁnding accommodation and acquiring visas.
National and international students (Europe, Asia, Africa and Oceania).
Ruth Regalón: firstname.lastname@example.org
Barcelona. Phone number/Whatsapp: +34 651 82 61 86
For more information for international students (North America and Latin America):
Susana Expósito: email@example.com
Phone number. / Whatsapp: +506 8627 5629