Diploma in Legal and Forensic Dentistry
Forensic Dentistry is the study of resolving legal problems by applying dental knowledge. This science has an ever-increasingly broader scope which covers issues raised in civil, criminal and labour law. Dental knowledge and techniques are used to resolve issues in these fields or else contribute towards their solution. Most cases require knowledge of dental trauma, dental prostheses, dental surgery or the basic science on which dental knowledge is based.
- To learn how to solve problems that arise in circumstances of disaster and major catastrophes as well as in isolated cases in which dentistry is necessary for solving the case.
- To gain experience of Interpol's forms from a dentistry perspective.
- To acquire adequate knowledge on the main aspects of human identification, criminology, forensic genetics, and forensic anthropology.
- To acquire knowledge of the methods to follow in cases of needing to identify living people, corpses, or human remains.
- To learn how to apply forensic techniques in cases required by the courts.
- To acquire knowledge about situations provided for in law in respect of the different forms of death, especially violent or criminally suspicious death.
- To learn the circumstances in which a post-mortem is compulsory.
- To acquire sufficient knowledge to be able to solve problems arising in relation to the administration of justice.
- To provide the necessary knowledge to be able to practice dentistry, especially the legal aspects of performing the profession.
- To appreciate the value of a clinical history as a document of interest for healthcare, scientific and medico-legal purposes.
- To know how to assess dental damage. Evaluation scales.
- To learn how to make a medico-legal assessment of malpractice in dentistry.
- To know the basic legislation as it applies to practicing the profession.
- To draw up expert reports.
Professionals related to Dentistry, Biology, Medicine and Criminology as well as members of the State security forces and bodies, Regional Police, health emergency centres, Civil Protection and emergencies staff, dental hygienists.
- Dra. Anna Hospital
- Dr. Francisco Javier Güerri
- Dr. José María Martínez-Calcerrada
Prerequisites & admissions
Prerequisites and admissions
To be professionals related to Dentistry, Biology, Medicine and Criminology as well as members of the State security forces and bodies, Regional Police, health emergency centres, Civil Protection and emergencies staff, dental hygienists.