Legal Aspects of Cultural Management Course
The main objective of this course is to provide students with theoretical and practical knowledge of the basic aspects regarding current legislation governing the activities of museums and foundations and their earnings, and the different means of financing the activities carried out by these entities, along with aspects related to intellectual copyright. In addition, the course aims to strengthen the students’ knowledge of the techniques and skills necessary for the legal and financial management of these entities.
- To get familiar and learn to use legal terminology and concepts.
- To be able to access and interpret international law regarding culture and art.
- To solve legal issues regarding the protection and management of culture and art.
- To reach a global overview of the set of rules which regulate this area of knowledge and understand the consequences of beaching those rules.
- To provide students with an understanding of core aspects of intellectual property laws and practice.
- To encourage students to think pragmatically about the importance of intellectual prosperity rights in the cultural business.
Course directors and coordinators
Dr. Marta Crispí Cantón
Degree in the History of Art specialising in Plastic Arts from the Central University of Venezuela (2006). Her thesis investigated the transformation of communication between the spectator and the work of art through digital interactivity and part of this research was published in the book “Estéticas del Media Art” (Aesthetics of Art Media) published by the EUMEDNET group of the University of Malaga. Master’s Degree in Cultural Management from the Universitat Internacional de Catalunya (2014). She was a research assistant in the Communications Research Institute of the Central University of Venezuela (ININCO-UCV). She has worked as a cataloguing and archiving assistant at the Deposit Guarantee Fund and Bank Protection of Venezuela and has also been a manager and cultural communicator at SWAB Barcelona, the International Trade Fair for Contemporary Art.
Curriculum and subjects
Given the diverse geographic origin of the students, this subject will use the parameters of international law and will include aspects of European law (European Union).
This course is made up of two parts; each of them will have the same number of sessions:
- The first part which will be taught by Professor Maria Mut, will focus on the way International Public Law protects and manages culture and art in all of its forms, both tangible and intangible.
- The second part which will be taught by Carlos Rivadulla, will focus on the regime of intellectual property, taking into account the process of international harmonization that this discipline has recently experienced.
Both parts of the course will have theoretical content as well as practical cases.
Mr Rivadulla is a graduate in law from the University of Barcelona. He holds a Master of Laws (Intellectual Property) in the Information Society (field of law) from the UOC (Open University of Catalonia). He is also an associate in Clifford Chance, a global law firm, in the department of Industrial and Intellectual Property. He is a lecturer and tutor in the UOC and a former lecturer in the UAB-EUSS, ISDE and the IE. He is the elected spokesman for the Intellectual Property and image rights department in the Il·lustre Col·legi d’Advocats de Barcelona (ICAB). He won first prize in the ICAB oratory competition (2003) and second prize in the ICAB law narrative competition (2007).
Prerequisites & admissions
Application for admissions
To register or receive more information, please fill out the admission form.
If you are interested in this course offered by the UIC, you shoud follow these easy steps in order to enrol:
- Fill in the application form
- Hand in the following documents personally to the Secretary Office of the Facultat d'Humanitats (Immaculada 22, 08017, Barcelona) or by email (email@example.com):
- 2 passport size photos
- Photocopy of passport or ID
- Updated curriculum vitae
- Letter of motivation
Grants & financial aid
Academic year 2018/2019
Members of the UIC Alumni and Friends Association are entitled to a 10% discount