Bachelor’s Degree in Primary Education
We have the faculty to train good teachers
Practice the theory you have learnt
Prepare for more career opportunities
The Degree in Primary Education allows you to officially work as a teacher. You can develop activities both in centres that depend on the Public Administration and at private and state-subsidised private centres. You will also have access to other work settings:
- Resource centres
- Leisure activities
- Museum education departments
- Non-formal education centres
Professors and lecturers who make good teachers
With this degree, you can study part of the curriculum or do your internship abroad, with academic recognition. Participate during one semester or year at one of your faculty's partner universities, or search for a business abroad for your internship. You can also get part of your ECTS during the summer at the Berkeley Summer Sessions, the best public university in the world.
Today's children are the future. Enriching their growth and providing them continuing education is more than a responsibility. At UIC Barcelona, this is our guiding principle: we work today to improve tomorrow. We will train you to become a professional with human skills that transform and enrich society. With a sensitivity towards and enthusiasm for working with children, and a capacity for self-criticism, flexibility and transmitting culture.
The Bachelor's Degree in Pre-Primary Education focuses on education during the first 6 years of a child's life, while holders of a degree in Primary Education are responsible for education between the ages of 6 and 12.
After graduation you may decide to either enter the job market (in Spain you must hold this official qualification to work as a teacher) or pursue a master's degree (in any country within the European Higher Education Area (EHEA)) and afterwards start your doctoral thesis.
Our education is target-based. The Bachelor's Degree in Primary Education will provide:
- A sound command of all applicable course content. You will learn to design, plan and convey processes.
- Knowledge of how language develops in a multicultural and multilingual environment. The ability to teach in Spanish, Catalan and another foreign language, as well the good habit of reading in other languages.
- Sensitivity towards diversity and gender equality and respect for human rights and civic values.
- Techniques to ensure peaceful co-existence in the classroom through emotional education and autonomy, encouraging hard work, persistence and discipline.
- Out-of-classroom skills relating to school organisation, tutoring sessions for parents or your relationship with other education agents. Preparation for the demands of today's society.
- Knowledge of how to introduce students to the digital world and add cultural richness through new pedagogical possibilities.
- Appreciation for collaborative work, critical thinking, commitment to a sustainable future, health, hygiene and physical education as means of personal and social development.
If you are a people person and feel the world of education is your calling, the Bachelor's Degree in Primary Education is right for you.
The following are some of the aptitudes our students share:
- An interest in teaching
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Sensitivity towards artistic expression
- Ability to relate to others
- Observation skills
Your competences are what set you apart as a teacher who is useful to society.
- Cross-disciplinary competences
Information technology and communication, languages (Catalan, Spanish, English), critical thinking and reflective analysis, creativity.
- Teacher-specific competences
Expertise in the subjects you teach and the teaching methods you employ, ability to work with colleagues and other staff members, professional development.
- Subject-specific competences
Competences you will develop through a number of diverse methods such as lectures, case studies, problem solving and problem-based, project-oriented, cooperative and independent learning.
At UIC Barcelona we will assess your competences through: objective exams, assignments and projects, portfolios, reports, self-evaluation, interviews, etc.
Holder of a degree in Primary Education from UIC Barcelona.
- ADAM MUÑOZ, José Luis
- ALBAREDA TIANA, Sílvia
- AMORES BARGAY, Joan
- BAKER, Martyn Russell
- BALAGUER FÀBREGAS, Maria Carmen
- BALCELLS SANAHUJA, Meritxell
- BERNARDINO HERNÁN, Ana Belén
- CAMPAMÀ TUBAU, Joan
- CAMPS BANSELL, Jaime
- CARBALLO MARQUEZ, Anna
- CARLET, Angélica
- CARRILLO AGUILERA, Carmen
- CARR MILIO, Tomas Joaquin
- CERDÀ CLUSELLA, Gemma
- CERRATO LARA, Maria
- CORBELLA ROQUETA, Maria Teresa
- DE BOFARULL DE TORRENTS, Ignacio
- DOMINGO COSCOLLOLA, Maria
- DOMÍNGUEZ BERNÚS, Alejandro
- FERNÁNDEZ ELORDUY, Ainhoa
- FERNÁNDEZ MORILLA, Mónica
- FRANCO DUEÑAS, Ismael
- FUENTES LOSS, Mariana
- FUERTES CAMACHO, Maria Teresa
- GASSÓ DE BROTO, Patricia
- GELPI FLETA, Paula
- GONZALEZ PÉREZ, Laura
- GONZALVO CIRAC, Margarita
- GORDI SERRAT, Francisca
- GRAELL MARTIN, Mariona
- GRAU GRAU, Marc
- GUTIÉRREZ SIERRA, Andreu
- HOWES, Christina Angela
- JIMENEZ DE LA FE, Juan Manuel
- JIMÉNEZ LÓPEZ, Esther
- KNIGHT, Janine Gwendolyn
- KUNDE, Karolin
- LLONGUERAS APARICIO, Anna
- LUNA BROSA, Maria Cristina
- MIRÓ COMAS, Abel
- MOYA RUIZ, Albert
- MUMBARDO ADAM, Cristina
- OLIVA MARTÍNEZ, Francisco-Javier
- PLANAS BOADA, Eulalia
- PONS MUDARRA, Cristina
- PUIG VOLTAS, Jordi
- PUJOL VALLS, Maria
- RAVENTÓS DOMÈNECH, Santiago
- RODRÍGUEZ PRAT, Andrea Mercedes
- ROIG MARZÁ, Alberto
- ROQUET PUGÈS, Helena
- SCOTT, Yolanda Isabel
- SEGURA MOLLÀ, Marta
- TINTORÉ ESPUNY, Mireia
- TORRES MORALES, Bernat
- TUSET MATEU, Mª Teresa
- VERDERA ALBIÑANA, Asunción
- VIDAL RAMÉNTOL, Salvador
- YEPES BALDÓ, Carlos
The practicums will help you strengthen the competences you have acquired and put theory into practice. Your skills will enable you to observe and carry out a descriptive and interpretive analysis of each context and intervene, first under guidance and then independently, in children's learning.
En les teves pràctiques desenvoluparàs les competències adquirides i relacionaràs la teoria apresa amb la pràctica. Les teves habilitats et permetran observar i fer una anàlisi descriptiva i interpretativa de cada context i intervenir, primer de manera guiada i després autònoma, en l'aprenentatge dels nens.
The teaching practicums are educational in nature and are part of the mandatory Practicum module.
Practicums are divided into the following subjects:
- School Practicums I
- School Practicums II
- School Practicums III
The teaching practicums are governed by both legal and internal regulations. Under the legal regulations, an agreement must be signed prior to beginning the practicums. In this agreement we will set out the arrangements and commitments established between the institutions, UIC Barcelona and you. Insurance is included in your enrolment fee.
The internal regulations lay down the guidelines for each teaching practicum and define the tasks of all those involved: the tutors at the schools, UIC Barcelona and you. These regulations are included in the course guide of each subject.
The Bachelor's Degree in Primary Education will enable you to work as a qualified teacher. You will be able to teach in government-funded schools, as well as both charter and private schools. You may also gain employment in other areas:
- Publishing companies
- Resource centres
- Leisure activities
- Education departments at museums or non-formal education centres
Prerequisites & admissions
Grants & financial aid
What is the Aptitude Test?
The Personal Aptitude Test (in Spanish, “PAP”) is a compulsory test in order to enter Pre-Primary and Primary Education Bachelor's degrees in all the universities within the Catalan university system. It consists of two tests that evaluate communicative competence and critical reasoning and logical-mathematical competence.
Why do I need to take the Personal Aptitude Test?
As a teacher, a sense of vocation is essential, because you will become an example to follow in terms of attitudes and values, you will educate and teach people who will become the society of tomorrow. However, it is also crucial to show that you have the necessary skills to become a teacher. It is essential to pass this test, as well as the Spanish national university entrance exams (PAU), in order to be able to enter the Education Bachelor's Degrees.
How is the Personal Aptitude Test scored?
The final mark for your Personal Aptitude Test will be a Pass or a Fail.
You pass the test if you gain a final mark equal to or above five out of ten. This final mark is calculated from the average for the two tests. Once you have passed it, the Personal Aptitude Test is valid indefinitely.
When can I sit the Personal Aptitude Test?
There are two sittings:
- Saturday, April 10
- Friday, July 16 (special sitting)
You can find out more about the enrolment dates and process here.
The results of the Personal Aptitude Test are published on the government site Portal d'accés a la universitat.
Who has to take the Personal Aptitude Test?
- Spanish Baccalaureate students.
- Spanish Higher Level Vocational Training students.
- Students coming from any education system other than Spain.
- Students who are entering the Education Bachelor's degrees through an academic record transfer.
- Students who are applying to university via the specific entrance exams for 25s, over 40s or over 45s.
- Students who, having sat the Spanish national university entrance exams (PAU) exams or the specific entrance exams for over 25s or 45s before 2017, have not met the requirements of the Personal Aptitude Test set out for pre-enrolment in 2014, 2015 and 2016.
Who is exempt from taking the Personal Aptitude Test?
- Students who have passed their PAP tests (personal aptitude tests) in 2017, 2018, 2019 or 2020.
- Students from years prior to 2017 who met the PAP test criteria as set out for pre-registration at university in 2014, 2015 and 2016*.
- Holders of a university degree or equivalent.
If I fail the Personal Aptitude Test in April, can I take it again in July?
You can take the test as many times as you like. However, please bear in mind that if you pass it in the special sitting in July, you will not have your place reserved for the programme chosen in your pre-enrolment in June. However, if you have taken the entrance exams to study at the UIC Barcelona Faculty of Education, you have passed them and you have reserved a place, we will keep your place for you until you find out the results of the July Personal Aptitude Test.
How can I study for the Personal Aptitude Test?
You need to study for the exam individually, using the test models available on the website Universitats.gencar.cat. You can also find out here how we can help you from the UIC Barcelona Faculty of Education.
Education degree entrance exam preparation course
On-site course aimed at reinforcing logical-mathematical and communicative competences. The content and exercises will be similar to those the participants will find on the Personal Aptitude Test (PAP). Class will take place in the Faculty of Education.
Price: €180 (this amount will be deducted from the cost of tuition)
Virtual classes schedule:
- Monday, 6 to 9 p.m. - Logical-mathematical competences
- Wednesday, 6 to 9 p.m. - Communicative competences
- First sitting: From March 1 to April 7, 2021 *.
- Second sitting: From June 28 to July 14, 2021.*
* There will be no classes due to the Easter holidays from 29/03 to 05/04.
Coordinating teaching staff: Xavier Oliva.
Study abroad temporarly
As a student in this degree programme, you may complete part of your degree or a work experience placement abroad and receive academic recognition.
Spend a semester or a full academic year at one of your Faculty’s partner universities or find a company abroad to do an internship. You may also:
- Attend the Berkeley Summer Sessions (extracurricular activity) the world’s best public university.
For information about everything you need to do before, during and after your mobility stay, check out the "Study abroad" section and download all the documentation specific to your Faculty:
Study with us temporarily
If you are studying at another Spanish or foreign university, you can come to UIC Barcelona to study temporarily for one semester or a full academic year.
Visit the “International exchange students site” for more information and, download here all the specific documentation of this faculty: