University Master’s Degree in Language Acquisition and Teaching English as a Foreign Language
This online master’s degree provides advanced teacher training in innovative methodologies and approaches to language acquisition and teaching English as a Foreign Language (EFL) to help improve teaching skills and competences. The master's degree combines an online teaching-learning environment, online contact sessions and a school teaching placement. The placement can be carried out in the candidate’s country of residence or abroad, through our pre-existing contacts with schools in Finland, the UK, Ireland, and the USA.
Reasons to study this master’s degree
To improve a range of professional competences as an EFL teacher or educational specialist and to be able to:
- Identify educational needs and design proposals of educational innovation.
- Improve teaching and learning processes in bilingual and multilingual contexts.
- Promote the development of learners’ linguistic, plurilingual and digital competences and intercultural awareness.
- Work efficiently in multilingual, multicultural and interdisciplinary professional and/or academic contexts
This is the master’s degree for you if you are a pre-primary or primary teacher, a secondary school teacher, or if you teach in a non-regulated language school. It will also be of interest to you if you are part of a school management team and you would like to discover new perspectives on teaching and learning English as an additional language.
This master's degree may also be of interest to you if you graduated with at least 180 ECTS credits and want to change your profession to teaching English as a foreign language.
"I am from South Africa, I’m 27. I searched for a degree which would enable me to work as an English teacher in Europe, thus a degree from European institution was my preference. My experience, here, has been lovely. The professors answer questions very quickly and online classes are fun to attend, but not mandatory which is fantastic".
“Hello, I´m Montse Montori and I'm 47 years old. I am working as a hotel manager in Barcelona. I have a bachelor’s degree in tourism and I speak several foreign languages. In terms of the coronavirus pandemic, I considered it a good opportunity to train in English language teaching and further my expertise. I thought that this programme and UIC Barcelona were the best options due to the course content, interesting subjects and practical experience in a school.”
The growing importance of English as a global language, its introduction at increasingly younger ages in nursery school as well as the widespread implementation of CLIL have radically changed the needs, objectives and realities in the area of the teaching and learning of English as a foreign language (EFL) in schools. Therefore, schools need professionals who are not only highly proficient in the English language but also have the necessary teaching skills and competences to be able to respond effectively to the current demands of the school context as well as capable of working in multilingual, multicultural and interdisciplinary professional contexts.
- To train English as a foreign language (EFL) teachers to efficiently apply different theoretical models and innovative methodological approaches to the teaching, learning and acquisition of EFL processes in bilingual and multilingual contexts, both in compulsory, vocational, formal and non-formal education and in the business sector.
- To train teachers by helping them to acquire theoretical and practical knowledge and the appropriate skills to promote the development of plurilingual and intercultural awareness among their students.
- To train specialists by helping them to acquire theoretical, practical and interdisciplinary knowledge about educational research models and methodologies in the field of acquisition, teaching and learning of (first, second and foreign) languages in different contexts and at different educational levels.
- To train professionals to be able to efficiently work in multilingual, multicultural and interdisciplinary professional and/or academic contexts.
- To train professionals to efficiently use the English language and academic skills in English, both orally and in writing, for academic and professional purposes.
Application Process Deadlines for 2022-2023
First call for applications
- Deadline for submitting documents: 31 January 2022
- Online interviews with preselected candidates: 1 - 10 February 2022*
- Communication of results: 11 February 2022
- Deadline to reserve a place: 25 February 2022
*Due to the Christmas holidays, the period between the deadline for submitting documents and the interviews is longer than in the rest of application periods.
Second call for applications
- Deadline for submitting documents: 1 March 2022
- Online interviews with preselected candidates: 2 - 10 March 2022
- Communication of results: 11 March 2022
- Deadline to reserve a place: 25 March 2022
Third call for applications
- Deadline for submitting documents: 4 April 2022
- Online interviews with preselected candidates: 5 - 22 April 2022
- Communication of results: 25 April 2022
- Deadline to reserve a place: 9 May 2022
*Following each step, the applicants will be notiﬁed if they have been:
a) Accepted: You will receive your acceptance letter along with instructions on how to pay the deposit and reserve a place. Acceptance will only be conﬁrmed upon payment.
b) Placed on a waiting list: Your application will be reviewed again during the next call.
c) Not accepted
Documents submission must be complete in order to include the applicant in each admission call. If some documents are missing, your application will be kept until completed and reviewed during the next admission call.
Prerequisites & admissions
- The minimum required level of English to access this master’s programme is B2+
- Open to holders of degrees and diplomas in pre-primary and primary education
- Open to holders of a degree who are involved in teaching at a pre-primary, primary, secondary, or upper-secondary level
- Open to professionals (with a degree) involved in non-formal education who aim to teach English as a foreign language