Bachelor’s Degree in Bioengineering
We innovate by combining science and technology to improve clinical healthcare
Study at the best universities in the world
Prepare for more career opportunities
At UIC Barcelona, we are aware of how important bioengineering is for our society.
- Manufacturing process and R&D&I department manager
- New machinery design and new material creation/production
- Quality department
- Medical device verification
- Custom-made device design and production
- Consulting at insurance companies
Professors and lecturers active in their field with multidisciplinary experience
According to the Spanish National Institute of Statistics, life expectancy increased by 1.1 years between 2007 and 2013. Sociodemographic change and long life expectancy in Europe have meant that healthcare is focusing on new horizons. The electrical and communications industry have facilitated the creation of batteries, microcomputers, new polymers and plastics, which mean that prosthetics and orthoprosthetics have become lighter, more resistant and look more real. In the area of robotics and electronics, it has been possible to develop improved prosthetics through control and adaptation systems until the point where they can create prosthetics controlled through muscular stimulation.
This degree will allow you to specialise as an engineer in the field of dental prosthetics and/or orthoprosthetics. Depending on the specialisation you choose, from second year onwards you will use knowledge of dentistry or medicine and physiotherapy in combination with engineering-specific technical and scientific skills, in order to fit dental prosthetics or orthotics in patients and offer them full or almost full integration into society or guarantee them a better physical or aesthetic look.
Who is it intended for? Prospective students
If you have a desire to help society in the field of health sciences, this could be the profession for you. Becoming an engineer via this degree and learning about the latest technology will ensure you can manage to design and manufacture prosthetics and orthotics (depending on the specialisation you choose) for patients who need it. This will allow them to become more integrated into society and ensure they can obtain a physical or aesthetic improvement.
Anyone who fulfils the admission criteria and general prerequisites for access to the degree programme is eligible to apply. You must be able to prove that you have a vocational attitude towards science, techniques and healthcare in which the following skills stand out:
- Organisational skills, a good memory and motivation
- Good decision-making skills
- Psychological qualities and empathy
- Emotional balance
- An interest in research
- Responsibility and a strong work ethic
- Observation skills
- Good at teamwork
- An interest in helping people and the community
- Manual skills
This bachelor’s degree allows students to develop a future professional career in various fields. These include:
- Directing R+D+I departments and manufacturing processes
- Designing new machinery and creating/producing new materials
- Quality departments
- The verification of medical devices
- The design and production of custom-made devices
- Consultancy in insurance companies
- As bioengineers, these future professionals will learn to both design and manufacture using the latest technology, to help people who need to integrate into society better and also achieve physical or aesthetic improvements.
- Students will learn to become professionals in the field of engineering with an approach based on professional specialisation and innovation.
- Students will acquire the conceptual and manual tools and necessary skills to design devices.
- Students will learn to form part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Students will learn how to create and manage a R+D department, from required administrative and healthcare documentation to managing products, buying material and human resources.
- Students will learn to check healthcare devices to detect any faults and identify measures to correct them.
Bachelor's Degree in Bioengineering at the Universitat Internacional de Catalunya
- AMIGÓ NAVARRO, Pau
- BOSCH CANALS, Begoña María
- BOSCH PITA, Miguel
- BOSCH RUÉ, Elia
- CARDÓ OLMO, Carles
- CASTRO OTERO, Emilio
- CERROLAZA RIVAS, Miguel
- CLUA SERRANO, Monica
- CORCÓ JUVIÑÁ, Josep
- CORTINA RAMOS, Albert
- CRISTOBAL LECINA, Edgar
- DELGADO GAROÑA, Luis Maria
- DE ROO PUENTE, Yolanda Jacoba
- FERNÁNDEZ BORSOT, Gabriel
- FERNÁNDEZ - RODRIGUEZ FAIREN, Mariano
- HAKIMI, Osnat
- MARIMON SERRA, Xavier
- MARTÍN SÁNCHEZ, Juan Carlos
- MATEOS TIMONEDA, Miguel Angel
- MENEGHEL, Isabella
- MERINO GÓMEZ, Maria
- MEZQUITA MAS, Betlem
- MULEY VILAMÚ, Helena
- MUÑOZ TORRES, Pau Marc
- OLMOS BUITRAGO, Jenifer
- ORTIZ I MIGUEL, Sara
- PEREZ ANTOÑANZAS, Roman
- PÉREZ DEL PULGAR GALLART, Sofía
- PÉREZ MUÑOZ, Noelia
- PERPIÑÁN BLASCO, Marina
- PLAMENOVA DJOUROVA, Nia
- PONTE CARDOSO RIBEIRO, Mariana
- PORTELA OTAÑO, Alejandro Ernesto
- QUANDT HERRERA, Eva
- RAMOS ESCOBAR, Neus
- RODRÍGUEZ GONZÁLEZ, Raquel
- VILADOT ALDAVERT, Ferran
Prerequisites & admissions
Grants & financial aid
Study abroad temporarily
As a student in this degree programme, you may complete part of your degree or a work experience placement abroad and receive academic recognition.
Spend a semester or a full academic year at one of your Faculty’s partner universities or find a company abroad to do an internship. You may also:
- Attend the Berkeley Summer Sessions (extracurricular activity) the world’s best public university.
For information about everything you need to do before, during and after your mobility stay, check out the "Study abroad" section and download all the documentation specific to your Faculty:
Study with us temporarily
If you are studying at another Spanish or foreign university, you can come to UIC Barcelona to study temporarily for one semester or a full academic year.
Visit the “International exchange students site” for more information and, download here all the specific documentation of this faculty: