Doctoral Programme in Health Sciences from the Universitat Internacional de Catalunya
Thesis submission and defence: 2193€
Application for the PhD title: 315€
The Doctorate in Health Sciences brings together the knowledge and experience of research professors from the departments of Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Physiotherapy, Psychology, Bioengineering and Basic Sciences. This approach is the result of an understanding that health should be dealt with in an interprofessional and multi-disciplinary way.
The aim is for future PhD holders to learn about different and complementary perspectives from other disciplines, in addition to the specific research in their field of study. The Doctoral Programme is also connected to other university programmes, and offers the possibility of studying the influence on education, communications, economics and urbanism on health.
The Programme disposes of all the infrastructure on Campus Sant Cugat (biomedical research laboratories, microscopes, cell culture, dentistry equipment, simulation, bioengineering, etc.) as well as the University Dental Clinic facilities, physiotherapy rooms, university hospitals and associated centres with all the medical and surgical specialities, as well as central services.
Lines of research
The configuration of the Universitat Internacional de Catalunya’s Doctoral Programme in Health Sciences reflects our current educational and training course offering.
Within this, we offer the lines of research detailed below, all of which are formed by an expert group of lecturers with proven research experience.
Dr. Albert Balaguer
LINE 1: PALLIATIVE CARE FOR END OF LIFE AND CHRONIC ILLNESS. COMMUNICATION WITH PATIENTS.
Head of the research unit: Dr. Cristina Monforte
- Study of the biological and psychological factors that lead patients to want to die.
- Develop models of diagnosis and of accompaniment and treatment, for the patients and for their family.
- Develop learning models to train professionals.
This line of research integrates a recognised consolidated research group (2017-SGR-1004) and the Company Chair “WeCare: End of life care.”
The group's subject of study is suffering, and particularly the wish to hasten death (WTHD) in people with advanced disease. Over the last few years, we have attempted to respond to some of the most pressing questions about this phenomenon: What does it mean for the individual experiencing it? Why may some patients, but not all, want to die? What impact does it have, and what factors may act as triggers?
Our research has been carried out from a multidimensional perspective (including physical, emotional, social and spiritual) and seeks to encompass patients, families and professionals. This group has contributed to improve: (a) the understanding and conceptualization of the WTHD, (b) its detection and evaluation and (c) the identification and better understanding of some related factors.
- Dra. Cristina Monforte
- Dr. Albert Balaguer
- Dr. Josep María Porta
- Dra. María Fernández Capo
LINE 2: HEALTH EDUCATION.
Head of the research unit: Dr. Albert Gallart
The research line "Health Education UIC Barcelona" works in two main areas:
- Health Education, aimed at improving knowledge of health and its population factors and training future health professionals as educators in health;
- Health Science Education, aimed at improving the training of future health professionals to achieve professional excellence in both their technical competencies and in their interpersonal, self-management, prioritisation, decision-making and inter-professional skills.
- Dr. Albert Gallart
- Dr. Esteve Llargués
- Dra. Mireia Llaurado
- Dr. Lluís Giner
- Dra. Encarnación Rodríguez
- Dra. María Ángeles De Juan
- Dr. Pau Mezquita
To get more information, please contact Dr. Albert Gallart firstname.lastname@example.org
LINE 3: TRANSLATIONAL, CLINICAL AND APPLIED RESEARCH.
Head of the research unit: Dr. Xavier Corbella
- Apply in clinical practice the biomedical, basic sciences and/or experimental knowledge acquired in the laboratory, with the aim of improving health care.
- Understand the mechanisms of disease, as well as the demographic, epidemiologic, and/or socio-economic factors that influence it, in addition to its clinical characteristics, diagnostic procedures and/or therapeutic, prognostic factors and/or preventive measures.
- Analyse best practices in terms of activity, quality, safety, efficiency and satisfaction, at care, professional, organisational, institutional levels and/or as regards the health system itself, as well as in the field of public health and/or health policies.
- Dr. Xavier Corbella
- Dr. Alfonso Antón
- Dr. Rafael Fernández
- Dr. Rafael Barraquer
- Dra. Paloma Puyalto
- Dra. Esperanza Gómez Duran
- Dr. José María Serra Renóm
- Dr. Ramón Grimal
To get more information, please contact Dr. Xavier Corbella email@example.com
LINE 4: INFECTIOUS DISEASES: PREVENTION, DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT.
Head of the research unit: Dr. José Nart
- Study scientific progress and establish medical improvements in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of infectious diseases.
- Study the interrelationship and translation of the various infectious diseases.
- Improve the general patient health, reducing the risk of infections and inflammatory diseases.
- Dr. José Nart
- Dra. Carmen Muñoz Almagro
- Dra. Esther Calbo
- Dr. José María Badia
- Dr. Andrés Matteo Pascual
- Dr. Antonio Santos-Alemany
To get more information, please contact Dra. Cristina Vallès firstname.lastname@example.org
LINE 5: STUDY OF HEALTH DETERMINANTS.
Head of the research unit: Dr José M. Martínez Sánchez
- Characterise the determinants of the health of local populations.
- Assess the health policies implemented
- Develop public health policies for primary, secondary, tertiary and quaternary prevention to reduce the impact of non-communicable diseases in the population.
- Find new biological markers for the correct characterisation of health determinants.
- Dr. José M Martínez-Sánchez
- Dr. Juan Carlos Martín-Sánchez
- Dr. Carlos García Forero
- Dr. Joan Bosch Sabater
- Dra. Cristina Lidon Moyano
- Dr. Adrián González Marrón
To get more information, please contact Dr. José M Martínez-Sánchez email@example.com
LINE 6: PHYSIOTHERAPY ASSESSMENTS AND PERFORMANCE IN CONTROLLING MOVEMENT.
Head of the research unit: Dr Mª Caridad Bagur Calafat
In this line, the main research objective is to analyse the mechanisms of assessment and performance of physiotherapy in the processes involved in control and execution of movement.
- Dra. Mª Caridad Bagur Calafat
- Dra. Rosa Mª Cabanas Valdés
- Dr. Ramón Olivé Vilás
- Dr. Pere Ramón Rodríguez Rubio
- Dr. Ernesto Herrera Pedroviejo
To get more information, please contact Dra. Mª Caridad Bagur Calafat firstname.lastname@example.org
LINE 7: BIOENGINEERING AND REGENERATIVE MEDICINE.
Head of the research unit: Dr. Roman Perez Antoñanzas
- Interlink multidisciplinary concepts from several areas such as biology, chemistry, materials science, physics and medicine to develop medical devices that can improve the regeneration or replacement of damaged organs.
- Understand and study the interactions between the medical devices designed and living tissue.
- Learn experimental methodologies and techniques in the field of Bioengineering and Regenerative Medicine.
- Dr. Javier Gil Mur
- Dr. Román Pérez Antoñanzas
- Dr. Luis Maria Delgado Garoña
- Dra. Mireia Hoyos Nogues
To get more information, please contact Sra. Isabel Elorduy email@example.com
LINE 8: BASIC AND CLINICAL RESEARCH APPLIED TO DENTISTRY
Head of the research unit: Federico Hernández-Alfaro and Dr. Miguel Roig Cayón.
Treatment and Rehabilitation of Oral Invalidity. Study in depth the treatment of the processes responsible for oral invalidity and treatment of the consequences of tumoral maxilofacial disease, osteochemionecrosis of the maxilaries, trauma, maxilomandibular atrophy due to edentulism and alterations in maxilofacial development.
- Dr. Federico Hernández Alfaro
- Dr. Miguel Roig Cayón
- Dr. Josep Cabratosa,
- Dr. Fernándo Duran-Sindreu
- Dr. Francesc Abella
- Dr.- Javier Mareque
- Dr. Jordi Gargallo Albiol
- Dr. Andreu Puigdollers
- Dra. Montserrat Mercade
LINE 9: NEUROSCIENCE RESEARCH
Head of the research unit: Dr Núria Casals
The molecular, cellular and physiological study of neurons and their integration in the organism as a whole. At present, the sub-lines of research are the following:
- Neuronal control of energy homeostasis and the prevention of obesity.
- AMPA glutamate receptor transport and its role in cognition.
- Molecular basis of hereditary spastic paraplegia.
- Regulation of axonal transport by nutrients.
- Functional imaging in vivo of brain circuits for sensory, predictive and attention processing.
- Plasticity of cortical brain circuits.
- Dysfunctionality of neuronal circuits in psychiatric illness.
- Neural activity replay during sleep.
- Neural basis of language processing and learning.
- Interaction between synaptic plasticity and brain waves as a molecular mechanism of learning and memory.
- Functional 4D mapping of the structural plasticity of dendritic spines in models of autism spectrum disorders.
- Dra. Núria Casals
- Dra. Rosalía Rodriguez
- Dra. Rut Fadó
- Dr. Miguel Baena
- Dra. Begoña Díaz
- Dr. Adam Ransom
- Dr. Miguel Bosch
- Dr. Sebastian Ignacio Zagmutt
To get more information, please contact Dra. Núria Casals firstname.lastname@example.org
LINE 10: RESEARCH IN CELL PHYSIOLOGY AND HEREDITARY HAEMATOLOGIC DISEASES
Head of the research unit: Dr. JOSEP CLOTET
A team consisting of biologists with the objective of studying various issues related to the field of cell physiology:
- Control of the cell cycle of Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
- Analysis of the role played by new cyclins in relation to tumours.
- Cellular response to the limitation of nutrients.
- Genetic diagnosis of iron metabolism disorders and other hereditary haematologic diseases.
- Dr. Josep Clotet
- Dr. Javier Jiménez
- Dra. María Ponte Cardoso Ribeiro
- Dr. Samuel Bru
- Dra. Natalia Ricco
- Dra. Mayka Sánchez Fernández
- Dr. Jaume Reventos Puigjaner
- Dr. Miguel Ángel Carrasco
To get more information, please contact:
The Doctoral Academic Committee has the general objective of ensuring the quality of doctoral theses and the general education of all doctoral students.
In order to do this, they assess the Doctoral Activities Document (DAD) on a annual basis, as well as any progress doctoral students have made on their Research Plan. Similarly, the committee is responsible for the final approval of the doctoral thesis so that it can be defended before the examining board.
Doctoral Academic Committee for Health Sciences
Dr Caridad Bagur. Department of Physiotherapy.
Dr Fernando Durán-Sindreu. Department of Odontology.
Dr Carlos García. Department of Medicine.
Dr Esther Jovell. Department of Medicine.
Dr Mireia Llauradó. Departamento de Enfermería.
Dr Carmen Muñoz. Department of Medicine.
Dr Jaume Reventós. Department of Basic Areas.
Dr Rosalía Rodríguez. Department of Basic Areas.
Organisation and planning
Ph.D. students will have to formalize annually the doctoral tuition corresponding to the supervision of the thesis, training activities, and the annual evaluation of the Doctor's Academic Commission. After the completion of the doctoral thesis, they will have to formalize the corresponding defense and deposit fees. And once the thesis is finished and defended, the administrative fees for the doctor's title request will have to be paid.
Annual enrolment on the programme
- Academic fees: €778
- Administrative fees: €82
Thesis submission and defence
- Academic fees: €1632
- Administrative fees: €561
Application for the PhD title
- Administrative fees: €315