Master's Degree in Biodigital Architecture
UIC Barcelona School of Architecture
Discover Biodigital Architecture
We offer you the chance to take part in the first architecture programme that explores the subject from a biological and digital perspective. An avant-garde syllabus and a new, 21st-century concept at your fingertips.
You will have the opportunity to use state-of-the-art technology with new production possibilities. And a whole new world of tools will open up to you, enhancing your professional qualifications and job skills.
Are you ready to see the possibilities awaiting you in the field of biodigital architecture?
Why choose Biodigital Architecture?
- Innovative education
Experiment with genetic-driven software, evolutionary processes, emerging systems and scripting.
- New vision of cybernetic-digital and environmental processes
Explore concepts such as bio-learning and morphogenesis.
- International approach and premier academic staff
Learn with an international teaching body which has made significant contributions to this new cutting-edge field of biodigital architecture.
UIC Barcelona's Master's in Biodigital Architecture is a pioneering programme of UIC Barcelona School of Architecture that combines architecture, biology and new digital trends. Since the year 2000 this programme has offered a unique approach to architecture from a biological and digital perspective.
The teaching programme establishes points of contact between new cybernetic-digital and ecological-environmental techniques. It incorporates experimental concepts, methods and works that use genetic-driven software, evolutionary processes, emerging systems, algorithms, parametric models and scripting. An innovative view of architecture that draws from areas such as genetic versus generative, natural versus digital and the impact of new biologies.
An avant-garde architecture and design programme that integrates the latest developments in conceptualisation and projection technology: Data-Driven Production, CNC numerical control machines, 3D printers... In short, a non-standard form of architecture that applies and promotes the genetic and digital principles of variation, mutation and hybridisation.
If you have a university degree in Architecture, Engineering, Fine Arts, Design, Landscaping, Biology or Genetics, this is the right master's degree for you. No previous specialised knowledge of cybernetics or ecology is required.
Architecture, Engineering, Design, Art, Teaching and Research.
The combination of advanced digital technology applied to architecture and biological knowledge will open up a new, as of yet untapped market.
Digital manufacturing laboratory and genetics laboratory.
- ABDALLAH, Yomna Khalid Ibrahim Mohammed
- CORCÓ JUVIÑÁ, Josep
- ESTÉVEZ ESCALERA, Alberto
- FERNÁNDEZ BORSOT, Gabriel
- FONTARNAU RIERA, Agustí
- FRAILE NARVAEZ, Marcelo Alejandro
- GARCÍA CUEVAS, Diego
- ORCIUOLI, Affonso Celso
- PÉREZ ARNAL, Ignacio
- TORREBLANCA DÍAZ, David Andrés
- URBANO LORENTE, Judith
- WARANG, Angad
Application Process Deadlines for 2022-2023
First call for applications
- Deadline for submitting documents: 3 March 2023
- Skype interviews with preselected candidates: 6 - 10 March 2023 (only if required)
- Communication of results: 13 March 2023
- Deadline to reserve a place: 27 March 2023
Second call for applications
- Deadline for submitting documents: 5 May 2023
- Skype interviews with preselected candidates: 8 - 12 May 2023 (only if required)
- Communication of results: 15 May 2023
- Deadline to reserve a place: 29 May 2023
Third call for applications
- Deadline for submitting documents: 9 June 2023
- Skype interviews with preselected candidates: 12 - 16 June 2023 (only if required)
- Communication of results: 19 June 2023
- Deadline to reserve a place: 3 July 2023
Extraordinary call for applications (only if there are places available)
- Deadline for submitting documents: 15 September 2023
- Skype interviews with preselected candidates: 18 - 22 September 2023 (only if required)
- Communication of results: 25 September 2023
- Deadline to reserve a place: 9 October 2023
*Note: Skype interviews are made on a needs basis only. The purpose they serve is to clarify any questions regarding candidate's CV or cover letter, at the discretion of the Master's Team. Not all admitted students will be required to do an interview.
*Following each step, the applicants will be notiﬁed if they have been:
a) Accepted: You will receive your acceptance letter along with instructions on how to pay the deposit and reserve a place. Acceptance will only be conﬁrmed upon payment.
b) Placed on a waiting list: Your application will be reviewed again during the next call.
c) Not accepted
Documents submission must be complete in order to include the applicant in each admission call. If some documents are missing, your application will be kept until completed and reviewed during the next admission call.
- Reserve a place: Pay the deposit (20% of the total fee)
- Enrollment fee: Pay the remaining amount (80% of the total fee)
- Enrollment date: 4 November 2022
- Deadline to pay the enrollment fee: 18 November 2022
Prerequisites & admissions
Who can apply?
This programme is aimed at university graduates from the following areas: Architecture, Engineering, Fine Arts, Design, Landscaping, Biology or Genetics, this is the right master's degree for you. No previous specialised knowledge of cybernetics or ecology is required.
How to apply
- Register online
- Upload the following documents to the admission’s portal:
- Photocopy of your passport
- 1 passport-size photo
- Certiﬁed* copy of your Diploma**
- Certiﬁed* copy of your Academic Transcript
- A signed copy of the UIC Barcelona general conditions (download the form from the admission’s portal)
- A signed copy of the UIC Barcelona data protection form (download the form from the admission’s portal)
- A filled in and signed copy of the grant survey referring to any external grants/financial aid for which you may have applied (download the form from the admission’s portal)
- Motivation letter (in English; please include your Skype username in your signature)
- CV (in English)
- Portfolio (in English and pdf format; content and length up to the student)
- Certiﬁcate of English language level (minimum B2)
- Recommendation letters
- Other certiﬁcates, diplomas or proof of work experience
* Document must have an oﬃcial stamp from your university
** If you do not yet have your Diploma, please submit the proof of payment of the diploma issuance fees or a document from your university certifying your expected date of graduation.
Accommodation and Visas
Students are responsible for ﬁnding accommodation and acquiring visas.